Travel and Health Insurance Requirements

St. Lawrence University requires all study abroad students to have health insurance that covers them internationally and includes coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation.

If your health insurance does not include international insurance coverage, there are many companies that offer such insurance specifically for students studying abroad. 

The St. Lawrence student policy provides the required coverage. Students interested in purchasing the St. Lawrence University health insurance coverage should contact the SLU Student Financial Services Office at 315-229-5581.  Short-term policies are also available for purchase - details are available online using the search term, “insurance for study abroad students.”  A few companies that provide this type of short-term international coverage include Trawick International and HTH Worldwide. The short-term policies can be purchased for the exact time that the student will be studying off campus.  Typically the premiums will cost from $35 - $60 per month.

While abroad, students must pay for their medical services up front and then submit their receipts to their American health insurance company for reimbursement. American health insurance companies do not have arrangements with providers outside the USA, therefore students will need to have funds available to pay for their medical services (i.e. credit card, cash in the bank account that they have access to with their ATM card.). 

If a student is studying in a country where there is National Health Insurance, then the student should use the health insurance card that they will be provided with after they arrive on site.  Their own health insurance policy can be used for back-up and/or for medical services if they leave the country and travel during a vacation period.

National Health Insurance Plans:

Please be aware that some countries require students to enroll in their national health insurance plan in order to obtain a student visa; including Australia, Japan, New Zealand.  Students on programs in Austria, Italy and Spain will be required to have the St. Lawrence University student policy or a short-term study abroad policy for visa purposes.   ISEP participants must carry national insurance of the host country or ISEP insurance coverage – depending on the program site.  Kenya program participants are required to purchase the Kenyan health insurance coverage upon their arrival in Kenya.  

Students are responsible for the costs of any and all required policies.