Acceptance Policies & Procedures
Only full-time matriculated students may apply to study off-campus. Students who have graduated or students with anticipated graduation dates before off-campus study program start dates are not eligible to apply.
All acceptances to off-campus programs are provisional. All partner programs require applications and retain the right to refuse admittance.
Upon acceptance to a program, students must:
- Maintain the academic and social/disciplinary record upon which their acceptance was based. If there are changes in this record (such as a withdrawal from, or an incomplete or failure in a current course; a significantly lower grade average for the current semester; changes in social/disciplinary status; or changes in physical or psychological health status) students MUST report these immediately to the Associate Dean of CIIS. Reporting such changes will not necessarily result in being withdrawn from the program; however, failure to report such changes will be grounds for rescinding acceptance;
- Pay an application fee of $30 (charged to students' accounts) and a non-refundable $450.00 deposit to the Student Financial Services Office (Room 315, Student Center) in order to demonstrate a commitment to participate in the program. Should the student withdraw from the program after the deposit is paid, the student will forfeit the deposit and will be billed for any expenses over and above the amount of the deposit that St. Lawrence and/or the program provider have incurred on the student’s behalf;
- Submit all required documents by the stated deadline to CIIS as indicated in the Studio Abroad application file, including applications for Additional Financial Aid and/or Air Fare Assistance where applicable. (See Estimated additional costs of off-campus study and Additional Financial Support)
- Complete all requirements of off-campus study partners, including but not limited to, third-party applications, submissions of required documents, and visa requirements.
- Attend all orientation meetings and activities both on the St. Lawrence campus and in-country. Orientation will cover a variety of topics ranging from course choices to cultural information and safety and security protocols. Non-SLU students participating on programs may be required to attend some orientation sessions in-person or virtually, otherwise, they will receive printed information by mail. Please see the Student Orientation Manual in their online application/acceptance file for additional information.
- Secure a passport valid at least 6 months beyond the end date of the program and carefully complete all applicable visa processes in a timely manner.
- Following acceptance to study off-campus, students are not permitted to register for classes on-campus for the semester they wish to study off-campus.
- Students must be financially cleared through Student Financial Services before they can participate in an off-campus program.
Persistent delinquency in completing any of the requirements will be grounds for rescinding acceptance.