Canton Free Library

Canton Free Library

Not Available for spring 2022

Community Mentor:

Agency and Placement Location: 8 Park St, Canton, NY 13617 

Transportation: Within walking distance

Mission: According to their website, “The first known library in Canton, the Canton Social Library Association, was formed in April 1832. It ceased operation with the formation of district school libraries. The present Canton library dates from 1887 when the Good Knights Templar opened a reading room in an office of the Town Hall. The Women's Library Association was organized in 1891 in Canton to provide a reading room and library facilities in a shack-like building on the edge of the Village Park. Its initial collection consisted of 25 paperbound books owned by Miss Josephine Paige who also acted as librarian. Several prominent members of the Good Knights Templar, including Professors Priest and Forbes of St. Lawrence University, J. Henry Rushton, and Gilbert Manley sought support from the State of New York for a library charter and finally succeeded on March 19, 1896. This created the Canton Free Library and five officers of the Women's Library Association were named the first trustees. The library was then incorporated with 1,782 books and moved back to larger quarters in the Town Hall.”

Projects: TBD

Website:https://www.cantonfreelibrary.org/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CantonFreeLibrary/