Not Available for spring 2022
Agency and Placement Location: 3 Chapel Street, Canton, NY 13617
Transportation: Within walking/biking distance
Mission: According to their website, the mission of Renewal House is "To respond immediately to the needs of victims of domestic violence and sexual assault in St. Lawrence County through services which empower victims and increase community awareness."
Projects:*adapted from their website
As a Client Advocate, you will assist Renewal House staff with providing services to our clients, including:
- Transportation to and from important appointments
- Legal Accompaniment
- Emotional Support
- Advocating for Resources
- Hospital Accompaniment
- Screening for Safe Housing
- Providing Office Coverage by answering the hotline, greeting clients, organizing printed materials and files, and other basic office procedures and projects
Client-based volunteers work directly with our clients, a vulnerable population that we often see in crisis situations, there is a thorough 30-hour New Advocate Training program required to prepare you for your role.***Please note that the 30-hour training does not count towards your weekly engagement.
Community Advocates support Renewal House both behind the scenes and in front of the community, providing services.
- Tabling in the student center
- Assist with development of sexual assault dialogue curriculum
- Assist with Clothesline Project
***students will participate in a modified training that will run concurrent with the weekly placement time.