Data Science Major and Minor Requirements
Data Science Major
The Data Science major requires 15 units, including 6 foundational courses, 5 core courses, 3 electives, and a senior-year experience.
- MATH 135: Calculus I
- MATH 136: Calculus II
- CS 140: Introduction to Computer Programming
- CS 219: Techniques of Computer Science
- STAT 113: Applied Statistics
- STAT 213: Applied Regression Analysis
- MATH 217: Linear Algebra
- CS 256: Data Structures
- CS 345: Database Systems
- DATA 234: Introduction to Data Science
- DATA 352: Statistical and Machine Learning
Choose 3, at least 1 from Group 1.
Group 1 (technical electives)
- MATH 205: Multivariable Calculus
- MATH 230: Differential Equations
- MATH 318: Graph Theory
- CS 332: Web Programming
- CS 340: Software Engineering
- CS 362: Algorithm Analysis
- CS 374: Artificial Intelligence
- STAT 226: Statistical Methods of Data Collection
- STAT 325: Probability
- STAT 326: Mathematical Statistics
- STAT 343: Time Series Analysis
Group 2 (applied electives)
- BIOL 303: Biostatistics
- CHEM 205: Quantitative Analysis
- CHEM 342: Thermodynamics and Kinetics
- ECON 342: Econometrics
- GEOL 233: Geographic Information Systems
- GEOL 319: Hydrology and Hydrogeology
- GEOL 333: Advanced Geographic Information Systems
- GEOL 362: Geochemistry
- ENVS 323: Environmental Epidemiology
- ENVS 383: Energy Life Cycle Analysis
- PCA 365: The Rhetoric of Algorithms
- PHYS 221: Modern Physics I
- PHYS 222: Modern Physics II
- PSYC 205: Research Methods in Psychology
- PSYC 401: Fundamentals of Learning
- SOC 301: Quantitative Research Methods
Courses not listed here may potentially be approved by the department chair as electives.
Capstone Experience (SYE)
- DATA 450: Applied Data Science Seminar
- DATA 489/498: Independent/Honors SYE
- A summer fellowship approved by the department chair
- An internship approved by the department chair
Honors work in data science provides the student with an opportunity for more independent and creative work. A minimum GPA of 3.5 in the major is required to receive honors in data science. In addition, each student applying for honors must complete a departmentally approved capstone. Interested students should consult the department chair.
Students considering graduate work in Data Science or Statistics are strongly encouraged to take Math 205 and Stat 325.
Students planning to participate in an off-campus program should seek early advice from the department on the best way to plan their major program.
Data Science Minor
The requirements for a minor in data science are seven units, including six foundational courses and one elective.
- CS 140. Introduction to Computer Programming.
- CS 219. Techniques of Computer Science.
- CS 256. Data Structures.
- STAT 113. Applied Statistics
- STAT 213. Applied Regression Analysis or ECON 342. Econometrics.
- DATA 234. Introduction to Data Science.
The following courses are pre-approved as electives. Other courses not listed here may count as electives if approved by the department chair.
- CS 332. Web Programming.
- CS 340. Software Engineering.
- CS 345. Database Systems.
- CS 362. Algorithm Analysis.
- CS 374. Artificial Intelligence.
- MATH 205. Multivariable Calculus.
- MATH 217. Linear Algebra.
- MATH 230. Differential Equations.
- MATH 318. Graph Theory.
- STAT 226. Statistical Methods of Data Collection.
- STAT 325. Probability.
- STAT 326. Mathematical Statistics.
- STAT 343. Time Series Analysis.
Students who earn a 4 or 5 on AP Statistics will receive credit for Stat 113.
Students who earn a 4 or 5 on AP Calculus AB will receive credit for Math 135. Students who earn a 4 or 5 on AP Calculus BC will receive credit for both Math 135 and Math 136.
Students who earn a 4 or 5 on AP Computer Science Principles will receive credit for CS 140. Students who earn a 4 or 5 on AP Computer Science A will receive credit for CS 219. Whether credited or not, CS140 requirements may be waived for students with sufficient programming background.