Senior Year Experience (SYE and Honors SYE) | St. Lawrence University Math, Computer Science, and Statistics

Senior Year Experience (SYE and Honors SYE)

Every student pursuing a major in Mathematics, Computer Science, or Statistics is required to complete an SYE, which counts as a one semester course.  (Although it is possible to spread the project out over a full year.)  Note that students with double majors can fulfill this requirement by taking an SYE in their other major.  However, most students will complete an SYE within the department, as described below.

Early in the semester (prior to registration) before you plan to schedule your SYE,

  • Approach faculty members in the department to discuss project ideas.
  • Check out whether an SYE seminar (MATH/CS/STAT 450) is being offered on a topic of interest.
  • Then settle on a project and an advisor, who will be a department faculty member.

When registering for courses, choose course 450 (for an SYE seminar) OR course 489 (for a regular senior project) OR course 498 (for an honors thesis).  Important: to enroll in a non-seminar SYE (489 or 498) you will need to ask your SYE advisor for their permissions before you are able to register for the course.

Honors Theses: To be eligible for an honors thesis students must have at least a 3.5 GPA in courses in their major and permission of their SYE advisor.

Most SYEs will include the following components:

  • regular (weekly) meetings with your SYE advisor,
  • a significant amount of independent work,
  • periodic drafts submitted throughout the semester building towards a substantial written paper presenting in detail the work accomplished,
  • a public oral presentation of your work, such as at the Hudson River Undergraduate Mathematics Conference (HRUMC) or the Festival of Science,
  • and for honors theses, a final written version of the project (hard copy and electronic). Honors projects will be bound by the library with hard covers.

Further details, requirements, and expectations for your SYE project should be discussed with your SYE advisor.