Community Mentor: Alena Ragan, email@example.com
Agency and Placement Location: 205 Canton-Madrid Rd, Canton, NY 13617
Transportation: Need Own Transportation, this means that CBL did not automatically reserve a SLU vehicle. Therefore, it is the student’s responsibility to access available resources to secure transportation. In these cases, a placement site is considered within walking/biking distance, or is within five miles of campus. Here are some alternative transportation options to consider: use a personal car that you are an insured driver for, walk, or bike. In some cases, it is possible to reserve a university vehicle from the regular fleet. *Contingent on its availability, students may also be able to reserve the CBL van. In order to utilize this form of transportation, students MUST complete SLU's Driver Certification training. The CBL office does not endorse the idea of students carpooling in personal vehicles. It is especially important that students understand the risks associated with carpooling. Carpooling should only be considered after all other options have been exhausted; when carpooling is necessary, both the driver and any riders must complete transportation waivers.
Mission: According to their website, “For people in the North Country, United Helpers delivers the specialized medical, physical and emotional support they need to be fully connected to life. We have been caring for our neighbors in St. Lawrence County for more than 120 years, and no other provider comes close to the reach of our network, the breadth of our services or the depth of our commitment."
Students will attend during the scheduled activity periods (Monday-Friday: 9:30am-11:30am or 1:30pm-3:30pm). Please note that these are the only times frames available (there are no Saturday or Sunday options).
- Card Games and Puzzles
- General Visiting
- Provide 1:1 Tech Support (iPads, computer, Skype, etc.)
- Assist with transporting residents within facility
- Visiting seniors in the Dementia Unit
- Wii Gaming System: assist the residents in understanding the system and learning new games
- Volunteer Application
- FLU Shot: students choosing this site will be asked to get a flu shot during the flu season. If a student does not want to get a flu shot and would still like to volunteer with Maplewood, he or she will be required to wear a (face/surgical) mask during their placement time.