Frequently Asked Questions

When should I arrive on campus?
New students should arrive on campus on Saturday, August 24. Check in for new students will be at their assigned residence hall.  Upperclass Transfer students should check in at the Student Center.
Returning students check-in on Monday, August 26 or Tuesday, August 27 in the Student Center.

Am I required to live on campus?
St. Lawrence is a residential university, and the residential experience is integral to the educational process. Students are required to live in University residence halls, theme cottages, or Greek chapter houses during each semester at the University. The University's small size promotes a strong sense of community among its students, faculty and staff. This in turn nurtures awareness of the importance of the individual and is further enhanced by the on-campus housing experience.

How do I request a room change? / What if I have a problem with my roommate?
It is common for roommates to encounter tension within their relationship during the school year. Ideally the problems that roommates encounter are normally resolved with increased communication and respect. However, if you are unable to reach a compromise your CA or RC is available to help.

Can I change my room assignment?
If the problem persists and a good faith effort has been made to resolve any difficulties, you may request a room change if there are vacancies available.

How do I apply for special needs housing?
You may obtain the special needs petition through the Residence Life Office. Petitions for housing for the 2024-2025 will be available at the start of the selection process. (New students should make contact with the Residence Life Office by June 1st to make a special needs housing request.)

Are residence halls co-ed?
The majority of residence halls at St. Lawrence are co-ed, however there are some single gender options available.

What items can be found in the first year residence halls?
In the residence hall common areas students will find:

  • Free laundry facilities
  • Desktop Computers
  • Vending Machines
  • Multipurpose Rooms / Common Rooms
  • Shared bathrooms for each sex
  • Kitchenettes

Are there activities in the hall where I live?
There are many activities each week both in the residence halls and in other areas of the campus. The residence hall staff will sponsor many social, educational, and cultural activities. Any suggestions, help, and participation are greatly appreciated from the staff and it is a great way to meet new people.

What furnishings are provided in my room?
In each room, students are provided with standard furnishings including:

  • Dressers
  • Desks
  • Desk Chairs
  • Beds (Extra Long Twin)
  • Wardrobe/Closet
  • Internet Connection
  • Trash and Recycling Bins
  • Window and treatments
  • Cable TV hook-up (TV cable not provided)

When do I have to be out of my room for vacations? For the end of the semester?
During Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks the residences close at 5pm on Friday to coincide with classes/exams ending.  Students who need to stay on campus during Thanksgiving or Spring Break may do so for an additional fee  (meals not included). Staying on campus is not an option during Winter Break except for overseas international students who must make special arrangements through Residence Life.

Can I bring my own appliances from home?
Some appliances are acceptable and others are not. Here are some examples of what is accepted and what is not:


  • Televisions/VCRs/DVD players
  • Computers
  • Lamps (except halogens)
  • Refrigerators
  • Phone
  • Fan
  • Clock Radio
  • CD player/stereo
  • Microwave


  • Halogen lamps
  • Toasters
  • Hot plates
  • Candles and Incense
  • Dartboards
  • Air Conditioners
  • Portable heaters

Can I bring my pet?
St. Lawrence understands that many students would like to have a pet during their time here. Unfortunately many people have allergies, and therefore fish are the only pets that can be allowed on campus.

May I bring my own furniture?
You may not remove any furniture already in the room, however you may add your own furniture as long as space permits. Waterbeds and student made lofts are not permitted, though St. Lawrence will provide bed lofting materials.

Can I cook for myself in the residence hall?
There are kitchenettes available in many of the residence halls and students have the opportunity to cook for themselves if they would like. Despite the availability of the kitchenettes, students are still required to contract for a meal plan with dining services.

What kind of internet access will be available?
Information technology provides the opportunity for all students to connect to Wifi through the SLU network in campus housing. Each student will also be provided with an email and network account.The IT Staff in the ODY library can help you connect your devices to the WiFi. If you would like to do it on your own, instructions can be found

May I bring a car to campus?
St. Lawrence allows all students to bring cars to campus. Students will be billed for a non-refundable fee and will be issued a parking permit for their assigned lot. A parking permit does not guarantee the availability of a parking space, but does grant the privilege of using SLU parking areas. Guests and visitors should obtain a temporary permit for no charge from the Security and Safety office.

Who is my RC, and what is their role?
St. Lawrence employs four full-time professional Residential Coordinators (R.C.s) on campus. The RCs supervise the Community Assistant (CA) student staff and daily operations of an area of campus housing.

What can I do to become a CA?
Each year new CAs are hired to replace those who are graduating or studying abroad. Students who are interested in becoming a CA should show evidence of being a good citizen within their community, show a willingness to serve others, and strong evidence of responsibility and enthusiasm.

Where do I report maintenance concerns with my room or in my residence?
If you have maintenance concern you should contact your CA, RC, or cleaners so that they may verify and report the problem.

How do I get my room combinations switched?
Students are urged to not share their room combinations with anyone. However, if necessary, room combinations can be changed for a $25 fee. Requests are processed by the Residence Life Office.

What should I do if my student ID is lost or does not work?
Students are issued a student ID card for their entire educational period at St. Lawrence. If a student's ID card is not working they should report the problem to the Security and Safety office (76 Park Street). If a student ID is lost he/she should obtain a new card for a fee at Security.