Entry Fall 2023
As with many new experiences, the financial aid application process may seem both complicated and overwhelming. However, if you meet the application deadlines and complete all of the required forms, you will find the entire process straightforward. The St. Lawrence University financial aid staff is available by phone, online, or in-person to assist you every step of the way.
Applying for financial aid is an annual process. There are many factors used in calculating eligibility for financial aid. For example, a student who does not qualify one year might become eligible during the next year when a sibling enrolls in college. Changes in family financial circumstances might affect your eligibility for need-based student aid each year.
To apply for need-based student financial aid from St. Lawrence University and the federal government, including St. Lawrence University Grants, Federal Pell and Supplemental Opportunity Grants, Direct Loans, and work-study, you will need to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). There is no charge for submitting this form.
The priority deadline at St. Lawrence University for filing the FAFSA is February 1 of each year for First-Year students. If you are interested in applying to St. Lawrence through our Early Decision Program, please review the Early Decision financial aid information. The deadline for Transfer students is March 1 of each year. St. Lawrence does not require the CSS Profile for domestic students.
FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA):
The FAFSA is a student's application for federal and need-based aid programs who have indicated an interest in applying for financial aid. Students may apply online (https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa). Students should submit the 2023-2024 FAFSA no earlier than October 1, 2022 and no later than February 1, 2023 for First-Year Students. Transfer Students should submit the FAFSA by March 1, 2023. St. Lawrence University's school code is 002829.
You will need an FSA ID to log into the FAFSA site. Please use the online link to obtain a FSA ID.
The Verification Worksheet is required by the U.S. Department of Education to assist us in verifying information supplied on the FAFSA form for the 2023-2024 academic year. These worksheets will be provided as needed.
You will need information from the following documents to complete the FAFSA and other financial aid application forms. (In addition, the St. Lawrence Financial Aid Office may request certain copies of some of these forms for verification purposes.)
- The student's driver's license (if available) and social security card.
- The student's income tax returns, W-2 forms, and 1099 forms for 2021. If the student is married, you will also need the documents for the student's spouse.
- The parent(s) income tax returns, W-2 forms, and 1099 forms for 2021.
- Current bank statements and mortgage information.
- Records relating to stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and other investments.
- Documentation of non-taxable income, such as Social Security income, AFDC, and Veterans Benefits.
- Business and farm records.
- Records relating to any unusual family financial circumstances, such as medical and dental expenses not covered by health insurance, unusually high child care costs, death, divorce, and loss of employment.