Entry Fall 2024
As with many new experiences, the financial aid application process may seem both complicated and overwhelming. However, if you meet the application deadlines and complete all the required forms, you will find the entire process straightforward. The St. Lawrence University financial aid staff is available by phone, online, or in-person to assist you every step of the way.
Applying for financial aid is an annual process. There are many factors used in calculating eligibility for financial aid. For example, a student who does not qualify one year might become eligible during the next year as changes in family financial circumstances might affect your eligibility for need-based student aid.
To apply for need-based student financial aid from St. Lawrence University and the federal government, including St. Lawrence University Grants, Federal Pell and Supplemental Opportunity Grants, Direct Loans, and work-study, you will need to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). There is no charge for submitting this form.
If you are interested in applying to St. Lawrence through our Early Decision Program, please review the Early Decision Financial Aid Information. St. Lawrence does not require the CSS Profile for domestic students.
FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA):
The FAFSA is a student's application for federal and need-based aid programs who have indicated an interest in applying for financial aid. Students may apply online (https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa). Students should submit the 2024-2025 FAFSA beginning in December 2023 for first-year students. Transfer students should submit the FAFSA by April 1, 2024. St. Lawrence University's school code is 002829.
Applicants will need an FSA ID to log into the FAFSA site. Each contributor to the FAFSA will also need their own FSA ID. Please use the online link to obtain an FSA ID for each individual before beginning the FAFSA.
Applicants may create an FSA ID at any time. It will take about a week for the ID to be processed.
The Verification Worksheet is required by the U.S. Department of Education to assist us in verifying information supplied on the FAFSA. These worksheets will be provided as needed.
ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS NEEDED:
You will need information from the following documents to complete the FAFSA and other financial aid application forms. (In addition, the St. Lawrence Financial Aid Office may request certain copies of some of these forms for verification purposes.)
- The student's driver's license (if available) and social security card.
- The student's income tax returns, W-2 forms, and 1099 forms for 2022. If the student is married, you will also need these documents for the student's spouse.
- The parent(s) income tax returns, W-2 forms, and 1099 forms for 2022.
- Current bank statements and mortgage information.
- Records relating to stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and other investments.
- Documentation of non-taxable income, such as Social Security income, AFDC, and Veterans Benefits.
- Business and farm records.
- Records relating to any unusual family financial circumstances, such as medical and dental expenses not covered by health insurance, unusually high childcare costs, death, divorce, and loss of employment.