Weddings on Campus

Policies on Reserving Gunnison Chapel

  • Only persons with direct relations to the University may reserve the Chapel for their own wedding (faculty, staff, administrators, students, alumni, their children and grandchildren).
  • No weddings will be scheduled on major University weekends (Orientation, Homecoming, Family Weekend, Moving-In Day, Commencement, Trustee Weekend, Reunion Weekend) or from the end of classes in December until the opening of the spring semester in January.
  • During the academic year, weddings will be accommodated on campus with these general guidelines: if college academic, co-curricular and extra curricular schedules are not disrupted and if space is available.
  • During the summer, weddings will be accommodated as long as college business is not disrupted

General Reception

  • No food, drink, balloons, adhesives (tape) or smoking in the chapel.
  • Candles will be allowed only as part of the ceremony at the altar.
  • Only grass seed may be used outside of the chapel (no rice or birdseed allowed).

Making Reservations
The following information must be supplied to the University upon making your reservation. Online Request Form

  • Date and Time of Rehearsal
  • Date and Time of Wedding
  • Person Officiating
  • Special Arrangements (Organist, P.A. System, Florist)

Weddings: Special Notes

  • Gunnison Chapel rental fee is $150
  • If you use the University Chaplain as your officiant, her fee is $150
  • Organist fee is $150.00 - University Organist TBA. 
  • All details regarding the service itself should be decided by the couple to be married and the person officiating.
  • If there are multiple requests for the same date, at least 3 hours should be scheduled between weddings and 2 hours for rehearsals.
  • All weddings must be recorded in the Chapel register.
  • A local florist should be used if flowers and/or candles are desired.

Receptions: Catering Policies and Guidelines
St. Lawrence University Dining & Conference Services has a primary responsibility to provide food services to students of the University and support official functions of the University offices and organizations. Catered receptions for off-campus groups and individuals can be provided under the following conditions:

  • Catering only during the non-academic year from the beginning of June thru mid-august.
  • Senior officers of the University and other employees with 10 or more years of service may use the catering service and University facilities for their children's weddings.
  • Employees of the University may use the catering service for their own wedding reception if they or their spouse are alums of the University or if they have attained 10 years of service at the University.
  • Alumni of the University may obtain catering services for their wedding if both the bride and groom are alums of the University.
  • Students may use the service if both the bride and groom are students at the University.

Reserving Space for Receptions
The Dining & Conference Services Office is responsible also for reserving space for receptions. After selecting an appropriate space for the reception, details regarding the reception will be coordinated directly with Dining & Conference Services. The contact person is Margaret Madore  (315) 229-5995. Please note, final confirmation of services for catering a reception will be decided by Dining & Conference Services.

Receptions: Special Notes

  • Facility usage rental fees for use of receptions will be based upon the desired space and the set-up required.
  • A guaranteed number of guests is needed two weeks prior to the wedding date as well as 50% of cost payable 2 weeks before the date of the event with the balance to be paid within 30 days of receiving the bill.
  • SLU Dining & Conference Services will not serve alcoholic beverages. Groups desiring liquor or beer service must make separate arrangements.
  • SLU Dining & Conference Services must cater all receptions. Outside caterers are not permitted.

Contact Dining and Conference Services