St. Lawrence University Catering Guidelines
St. Lawrence University Dining & Conference Services provides full-service catering to the Campus Community. We will also assist in coordinating room reservations, menu selection, linen and other items necessary to make your event a success. Whether arranging for a group of 15 or 500, it is our pleasure to execute your event with the highest level of professionalism and satisfaction. We take pride in preparing meals that will make your event memorable.
Catering / Event Planning:
Room Reservation: Before beginning any planning for an on-campus event, a confirmed room reservation is required. Please see Reserve a Room. For additional help with catering questions, call room reservations clerk at 229-5996, to set up an appointment, Monday - Friday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- Please try to place your order two weeks in advance so we have adequate time to properly plan and prepare for your event.
- Contact the catering clerk at x5996.
- Confirm the date, time, location and provide an estimated guest count.
- Provide detailed information on special dietary requirements.
- Three business days in advance: Please provide a guaranteed number of guests. If a guarantee is not provided, your latest estimate becomes the guarantee.
- Last Minute Requests (less than 3 business days): Dining Services understands that short notice requests occur and will make every effort to accommodate your request.
- Orders placed with less than a day’s notice will incur an additional fee of $50.00.
Recommended Timeline: While we will make every effort to accommodate the needs of the campus community, it is recommended you place your order as soon as possible (at least 2 weeks in advance).
Please consider the following when selecting your menu:
- Budget parameters.
- Type of function (reception, buffet dinner, beverage break, served meal, etc.)
- Purpose or theme of event; ethnic, religious.
- Location of the event.
- Estimated number of attendees.
- Guest dietary requirements, i.e.: Gluten-free, sugar-free, lactose intolerance, nut allergy, vegetarian, vegan, etc.
- The complete timeline of the event: start time, end time and any breaks the group will be taking if necessary for a replenishment period.
- Linen, service ware and décor needs.
It is strongly advised that the entire event’s programming is shared with the Dining Services Clerk / Catering staff, so the timing of the event is as accurate as possible.
Pricing is inclusive of setup and cleanup, disposable ware, and standard linens. China service and full waitstaff service can be provided for an additional fee.
Please provide a university budget code at the time of booking. We also accept Cash or Check as forms of payment.
Higher or lower guest counts may affect price, and possibly venue.
Final billing is based upon the guaranteed guest count provided, or the actual number of guests; whichever is higher.
A charge will be incurred for any Dining Services equipment used at an event that is not promptly returned.
Add a special touch of elegance by upgrading to full China service. China Service includes dinner plate, B&B plate, dessert plate, coffee cup and saucer, and all silverware. You can also select from a wide selection of custom linen colors and styles if you choose to upgrade your linen for a special occasion such as a wedding or formal reception/dinner.
- China service: $3.00 per person
- Waitstaff to serve throughout the event (i.e.: plated meals, large China service buffets that require clearing of tables, etc.) $25.00 per server per hour
- Custom linen order pricing will vary depending on the style and sizes needed. Please ask for the Watertown Linen color swatch when booking your event if you would like to upgrade your linen.
A confirmation email will be sent prior to the event with the attached BEO (banquet event order). Please review carefully and promptly notify the catering clerk of any discrepancies.
If there are any questions or concerns at the time of the event, contact the dining unit preparing your event. The phone number will be listed on the BEO.
If an event is cancelled with less than 24-hour notice, a 25% recovery fee will be charged. Once food has been prepared and the room set, the original per person charge will be incurred.
Alcohol Consumption on Campus:
Beer and wine service is available on campus with the prior written approval of the Executive Director - Finance Office (Eric Shinnick). Cash bars will require a local vendor.
Bar beverages and bartending services are an additional charge and will be billed at a cost-plus basis for alcohol consumed or corked. All bars require a bartender that will be provided by Dining Services unless otherwise specified by the client. If you would not like a bartender present for your event, you will need to get pre-approval from Eric Shinnick and you will be charged a bar setup fee.
- Bartender Fee: $100.00
- Bar Setup Fee (if no bartender provided by DS): $75.00
- Wine: $25 per bottle opened
- Beer: $4 per bottle
A University budget code must be provided.
Please refer to St. Lawrence University’s Alcohol Policy for more information.
NYS Health Department Information:
The first and most important responsibility is to the safety and quality of any foods served on the campus. SLU’s Dining Services is a licensed food service operator, inspected by the New York State Health Department, and governed by their regulations.
The Department of Health requires that all foods at St. Lawrence University be from “approved sources.” Please refer to the Catering Policy.
Per NYS Health Department regulations, food may not be removed from the premises by attendees. All foods not completely consumed at any event remain the property of SLU’s Dining Services.