Student Employment Opportunities
Sullivan Student Center/Student Activities and Leadership Employment Opportunities
Our office provides various employment opportunities for students. You can apply to work at the Student Center Info Desk, and we also hire student staffs for special events such as Family Weekend. Whenever we have positions available you can find information and applications here.
Sullivan Student Center Positions
Student Activities Assistant (Information Desk)
We are accepting applications for this position for the Spring 2023 semester. Application deadline is 11:50 PM on Sunday, December 4.
An overview of the position is included below. To apply, please visit the full job description.
The Student Activities Assistant acts as a representative for the Office of Student Activities & Leadership by staffing the information desk with a smile, greeting guests, answering questions, and providing services as needed. During the regular business hours staff members are expected to assist the Student Activities and Leadership staff in routine clerical assignments and answering telephones. During evening and weekend hours, the desk assistant is the main staff member responsible for the overall management of the Student Center and he/she is expected to coordinate facility operations, assist with events in the Winston Room and throughout the building, oversee Student Center safety and security by addressing policy infractions and serving as a first response to emergency situations. Student Activities assistants also assist the office with larger projects, such as Family Weekend and service events.
Please be prepared to attach a current resume with your application and include 3 professional references. If possible, at least one reference should be a St. Lawrence faculty or staff member.
Student Activities & Leadership Summer Intern
Applications are currently closed.
Reports To: Student Activities and Leadership Professional Staff;
Hours per week: 35 hours per week, Summer Stipend & room in campus housing provided.
Employment Dates: May 2022 –August 2022 (flexible start and end dates)
Function and Scope: The Student Activities and Leadership Summer Intern works closely with administrators in the Office of Student Activities and Leadership, Residence Life, and Outdoor Programs to coordinate the Orientation Pre-Trip Program, assist with Orientation Leader Training and New Student Orientation, complete Student Activities summer projects, and fulfill responsibilities at the Student Center Information Desk.
The intern in this position will also work with the professional staff and orientation leaders to execute a successful orientation program.
Skills and Qualifications: Highly motivated, strong interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral), ability to work independently and in a team environment, dependable and responsible, detail-oriented, ability to use independent judgment, organizational skills, and comfortable facilitating small and large group discussions and activities.
- Orientation Pre-Trip Program: Coordinate the Orientation Pre-Trips with oversight from Timberly Hewitt, Specialist. Responsibilities include communicating trip information to new students and managing the pre-trip sign-up process; which includes assigning trips based upon student preferences, processing payments, notifying students of assignments, and answering student and parent questions.
- Orientation Leader Training: Assist with creation, planning, and facilitation of sessions during OL Training. Provide insight into session topics, structure, and outcomes; take a leadership role in facilitating specific sessions to develop skills and relationships among OL team. Manage aspects of staffing that include but are not limited to clothing design and ordering, reservation and setup of training facilities, and providing input during the process of generating Orientation leader pairs.
- Information Desk: greeting visitors, fielding questions, giving directions, answering telephone calls and directing callers to the appropriate offices. Assisting with additional duties which may include: SLUWire, Student Listserv, Keys, Game Equipment, and Mail.
- Summer Projects: These vary depending on the goals set by professional staff and the skills and interest of the summer intern. Past examples include Pub 56 improvements, updating and creating manuals and resource documents for the Student Information Desk Assistants, completing research and benchmarking projects, developing a social media plan for Orientation. For Summer 2018: assist with various projects to prep for fall 2018 including First Year Cup, Family Weekend & Student Organization Leadership Trainings
- Clerical Assistance: copying, typing, data entry, mailings, etc.
- Courier: running errands and delivering paperwork to other parts of campus as needed.
- Participate in 1:1 with direct supervisor(s) and other administrators as necessary
Other Employment Opportunities
Family Weekend Crew
The Office of Student Activities & Leadership hires a team of students to assist with running Family Weekend, including helping guests with registration and answering questions, assisting with event management, and decorating the campus for the weekend. See the full position description for more details. Applications for this position open in August each year.
Senior Week Crew
The Office of Student Activities & Leadership hires a select group of students to work during Senior Week. Applications are currently closed, but you may view the full position description.
Questions about any of these employment opportunities? Contact Ashlee Downing-Duke, Senior Associate Director of Student Activities & Leadership, x5135 or email@example.com