Sigma Pi Sigma - The Physics Honor Society
The St. Lawrence chapter of Sigma Pi Sigma (ΣΠΣ), founded in June 1929, was the ninth chapter formed in the country and has inducted over 300 members over the years. The group was revived in 1995 by Dr. Catherine Jahncke after 2 decades of dormancy. Dr. Munir Pirbhai is the current faculty advisor.
Membership in the Sigma Pi Sigma Honor Society is by invitation to students who must qualify according to the following academic criteria:
- Must have completed two 100-level classes, and two classes at the 200-level or above
- Have a physics GPA of 3.5 or greater
- Have an overall GPA of 3.3 or greater
- Must have attended and participated in at least ⅓ of the Society of Physics Students meetings or activities of the current academic year
St. Lawrence also sponsors a Society of Physics Students group which holds several physics-related gatherings each year. The Society of Physics Students is open to any student interested in physics.
Photos of ΣΠΣ Induction ceremonies (note that Induction did not take place during the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020 and 2021):
- Previous Induction ceremonies: 1996 - 2009