CSTEP Summer Research and Paid Internships
All CSTEP members are eligible to apply for a CSTEP summer internship opportunity. These internships can consist of an off-campus experiential learning opportunity or an on-campus faculty mentored research experience. Experiential internships involve placements in such organizations as schools, law offices, county government agencies and veterinarian practices. Students shadow professionals and gain insight into the professions of interest. These students meet with a CSTEP staff member on a weekly basis and complete a culminating project. Program participants selected for research internships are required to complete the following:
- Participate in an 8 week summer research internship under a faculty mentor
- Attend Community of Graduate Scholars (COGS) seminars twice per week
- Submit research logs once per week
- Attend meeting with CSTEP staff once per week
- Complete written assignments and projects by program due date
- Participate in a community service activity once per week
- Present research at local New York state conference
- Attend team building events
Benefits of both types of internships:
- A competitive stipend
- Room & board
- Free seminars focused on graduate school preparation & professional development. Past topics have included writing a personal statement, effective poster design, mock graduate interviews, writing a CV, oral presentations & public speaking.
- GRE or other standard graduate entrance exam preparation
- Graduate school planning
Summer Internship Proposals are due each year on the first Friday during the month of February.
Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to meet with CSTEP staff before submitting their summer proposals. Drop by Fox Hall - Room 207 or email Marsha Sawyer & Jennifer Townsend for an appointment.