It is best to make an appointment with the McNair Director to discuss your eligibility prior to submitting an application for the McNair Scholars Program.
Applicants must be:
• A first generation college student (neither parent has completed a baccalaureate degree) and they must meet the income guidelines published by the U.S. Department of Education relative to taxable income and the number of individuals residing in the student's household.
• A member of one of the groups which are historically underrepresented in graduate education. The federal McNair Program regulations define students underrepresented in graduate education as Black (non-Hispanic), Hispanic, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiians, and Native American Pacific Islanders.
• Applicants must be United States citizens or have proof of permanent resident status.
Applicants who are selected for the program must:
• Have a commitment to immediately enroll in graduate study upon completion of their St. Lawrence degree and obtain a doctoral degree (PhD) within 10 years of their graduation.
• Have earned a minimum of 16 units before the summer research internship, and successfully complete the research internship before graduation.
• Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher in the major and an overall 2.8 or above.
• Demonstrate a commitment to participate in McNair orientation, meetings, workshops, seminars and other activities until graduation.