Foundations of Medicine
Planning to apply to medical school?
Foundations of Medicine I and II
St. Lawrence University’s Signature Pre-Med Course Series
- 2 consecutive semester course series (BIOL 235 and BIOL 311 Foundations of Medicine I and II)
- Prepare for the MCAT medical school entrance exam
- Review subjects and concepts tested on the MCAT
- Learn and practice strategies for taking the MCAT exam
- Take MCAT practice exams and get feedback on your performance
- Develop your medical school application materials & your interview skills
- Write and workshop your personal statement
- Participate in panel discussions with medical school admissions officers to learn about what they’re looking for in applicants
- Participate in mock medical school interviews and receive feedback on your performance
- BIOLOGY 101 and 102
- CHEMISTRY 103 and 104 AND 221 and 222
- PHYSICS 103 and 104 or 151 and 152
Each course counts as 0.5 units, but DOES NOT count toward Biology major requirements.
BIOL 235 Foundations of Medicine I (0.5 units) Fall Course
This fall semester course is designed to help students as they prepare to take the MCAT entrance exam and apply to medical school. Outside of class, students will work on their MCAT content review including concept checks and practice questions and will take two full-length practice exams. During class, students will make short presentations on striking or memorable pieces of review content, and learn and practice test-taking strategies. In the interest of developing other aspects of students’ medical school applications, students will read and respond to a book that relates to current medical culture, the complexity of changing medical systems, or how to make a lasting difference in developing countries. In addition one class period will be a panel discussion at which community physicians discuss and answer questions about their paths into medicine and current practices. Pre-req 1/2: BIOL-101 & BIOL-102 Pre-req 3/4: CHEM-103 & CHEM-104 Pre-req 5/6: CHEM-221 & CHEM-222 Pre-req 7/8: PHYS-103 or PHYS-151 & PHYS-104 or PHYS-152 Must be completed prior to taking this course.
BIOL 311 Foundations of Medicine II (0.5 units) Spring Course
This spring semester course is designed to help students as they prepare to apply to medical school. The major goals of the course surround putting together a successful AMCAS or AACOMAS application and interviewing successfully. Assignments and classwork will focus on writing and refining personal statements, summarizing previous experiences in a way that highlights their value, and preparing for critical thinking interviews. Students will continue to prepare for the MCAT exam outside of class including content review (reading assignments, concept checks, practice questions and teaching presentation preparation) and applied practice (two full-length practice exams and their analysis). Students will complete a research project that further develops their understanding of a current controversial topic in medicine and model how to best respond to a related interview question. Pre-req 1/2: BIOL-101 & BIOL-102 Pre-req 3/4: CHEM-103 & CHEM-104 Pre-req 5/6: CHEM-221 & CHEM-222 Pre-req 7/8: PHYS-103 or PHYS-151 & PHYS-104 or PHYS-152 Must be completed prior to taking this course.