Holds on Student Registration

During their time at St. Lawrence, students may find that a hold has been placed on their next semester’s registration in the APR2 (Academic Planning and Registration) site. Holds are placed to ensure that a student takes a particular action. Holds are of three types:

Advisor Hold

Academic advisors may place holds on their students' accounts to ensure that advisees meet them about their academic plans. Once the advising session has taken place, the advisor will ask the registrar to release the hold.

Dean’s Hold (AKA Advising Hold)

The Associate Dean for Academic Advising Programs may place a registration hold on students who fail to take the following required actions:

  • Second-semester sophomores who fail to declare a major by the major declaration deadline will have a hold placed on their account until they declare a major.
  • Students whose advisor has left the university or who is on leave, sabbatical, or directing an off-campus study program will have a hold placed on their account until they change their advisor, unless specific arrangements have been made with the advisor to continue advising while away from campus. Note that students with multiple faculty advisors are only required to have one present on campus.
  • Students who earn two or more Inadequate Writing Competency (IWC) notations and fail to either register for the College Writing Workshop (ND-207, 0.5 unit course) or contact the Director of the WORD Studio to develop an individualized response plan will have a hold placed on their account until they take one of these actions or consult with the Associate Dean for Academic Advising Programs, Fox Hall 101 (315-229-5121).

Financial Hold

Students with delinquent student account balances are not allowed to register for classes or be housed for future semesters. In October, the Student Financial Services staff will run the hold program to update financial holds on student accounts. Although the Fall semester payment is due August 15, time is given to students and families to process all of the required paperwork to satisfy the account balance.

Students on Financial Hold should contact the Student Financial Services office for assistance during the registration process. Some students are able to resolve their problem by signing a promissory note, completing other paperwork, or contacting their parents or guardians to satisfy their obligations. Some students may be able to begin the loan application process to satisfy balances.