The Bloomberg Finance Lab
WHAT IS THE ST. LAWRENCE BLOOMBERG FINANCE LAB?
- In March 2022, St. Lawrence received our largest-ever grant awarded by the George I. Alden Trust to create a new, state-of-the-art Bloomberg Finance Lab in ODY Library to support our new academic major in finance.
- The Bloomberg Finance Lab will feature 15 student Bloomberg Terminal stations and an instructor desk in a striking contemporary design, with glass enclosures for optimal sightlines, modern, highly functional furnishings, and immediate visibility from ODY’s main floor. Finance students will experience the stock market in real time through the new Bloomberg Terminals and ticker-tape display, feeling that they are right on the trading floor.
- The project is now underway with an anticipated opening in January 2023. Classes across campus will use the Bloomberg Finance Lab, including mathematics, economics, government, computer science, data analytics, and business in the liberal arts.
HOW WILL THE BLOOMBERG FINANCE LAB BENEFIT ST. LAWRENCE STUDENTS?
- St. Lawrence students will now be able to use this lab and Bloomberg Terminals to learn key finance theories with live data, experience major market announcements as they happen, and apply new financial instruments as they develop—with entire classes accessing trade data in real time.
- St. Lawrence students can prepare for successful careers in the finance industry by gaining hands-on experience with market trading and investment management, including completing the well-respected Bloomberg Market Concepts Certificate program, which 150+ St. Lawrence students have initiated to date.
- The Bloomberg Finance Lab will vastly expand resources available to our successful student Fed Challenge team, which placed 2nd in the nation in 2020.
HOW WILL THE BLOOMBERG FINANCE LAB BENEFIT ST. LAWRENCE?
- Admissions will showcase our new Bloomberg Finance Lab as a “wow factor” for prospective students and families—we believe this will contribute to a potential enrollment increase in students interested in finance, economics and business.
- St. Lawrence is now one of the few liberal arts colleges to offer a major in finance. Our flagship Bloomberg Finance Lab will be the facility driving growth in our new finance major. And it will give our students the experience they need to step into this high-demand field.
- This new Lab will help us recruit the best new tenure-track faculty as our finance program expands over time.
GOAL: $2 Million in Endowment Support
The Bloomberg Finance Lab can be named by a donor at the $2 million level.
Current use gifts (approximately $150,000 in FY23) will help us bridge the annual gap in funding, as we build toward the endowment goal.
Help the Bloomberg Finance Lab make a meaningful impact on St. Lawrence faculty and students.
Financing the Future
St. Lawrence is one of only a handful of small liberal arts colleges to offer a major in finance; however, the Bloomberg Finance Lab will also be an asset to other courses of study in mathematics, economics, government, computer science, data analytics, as well as St. Lawrence’s signature multidisciplinary business in the liberal arts major.
The Bloomberg Terminal was a useful tool for the Fed Challenge team. It gave us access to institutional grade data and research, but the real power was evident in the ease of aggregating a wide range of data. We were able to focus on analyzing data which improved the quality of our final product.