Junior and Senior Year
During junior and senior year, you will be deepening your engagement with your major, taking advanced coursework and becoming increasingly involved in the community of your major department. This is also a time to think broadly and intentionally about your future. While completing any remaining general education requirements as well as taking courses in your major, you should also have time to explore areas of new or longstanding intellectual interest. You should think about developing skills and diversifying your outlook in ways that will prepare you for your life after SLU, in terms of further education, career, and personal development.
Some academic objectives in your junior and senior year:
- Complete any remaining general education requirements and make sure you are on course to complete your degree
- Complete your major, and potentially an additional major and/or minor(s)
- Take non-required courses that allow you to explore your intellectual interests and diversify your outlook on the world
- Develop your passions and hone your skills through experiential opportunities such as off-campus study, SLU and Tanner Fellowships, SLU Public Interest Corps (SLU PIC), and internships
- If you plan to apply to a professional or other graduate program, educate yourself about its requirements (e.g., academic course prerequisites, entrance exam, etc.), compose an appropriate CV or resume, and pursue academic and experiential opportunities that will help you become a competitive applicant
- Take advantage of opportunities to develop your professional connections by working with the Center for Career Excellence and Career Connections, and through programs and events such as SLU Connect, Laurentians in Residence, and Internship Fellowships, as well as career and networking events sponsored by the Alumni Council and the Board of Trustees
You should familiarize yourself with department-specific opportunities posted on the webpages of your major department and talk with your academic advisor about your post-graduation interests and plans.