A select chamber choir of undergraduate student singers, the Laurentians continue a 77-year legacy of choral excellence, performing regularly throughout the year on campus, in the North Country, and nationally or internationally on tour during spring break each year. Their far-ranging repertoire is drawn from the entire span of Euro-American classical traditions as well as world and popular idioms.
To celebrate Barry Torres’ last year as director, the Laurentian Singers are planning an exciting tour to Italy in March 2023. The proposed itinerary includes stops in Venice, Florence, Siena and Rome. Laurentian Singers alumni will be invited to join. The repertoire will have an Italian bent with music by early masters such as Landini, DuFay, Arcadelt and Monteverdi. The centerpiece will be Eric Whitacre’s “Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine,” a passionate homage to the Italian madrigalists. Other repertoire includes songs by the Beach Boys, spirituals and more. For Christmas the women will be featured in Benjamin Britten’s classic homage to medieval English song, “A Ceremony of Carols.”
Rehearsals (starting Tuesday, September 6)
- FULL: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:30-6pm, in Griffiths Arts Center 15
- SECTIONALS: Wednesdays, 4:30-5:30pm (women) and 5:30-6:30pm (men), in Griffiths 15
- Laurentian Weekend: Friday, October 7, and Saturday, October 8, at 7:30pm in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall
- Inauguration of President Kathryn A. Morris: Saturday, October 22 (time and location TBA)
- 23rd Annual Christmas Concert and Carol Sing: Friday, December 2, at 7pm at Pickens Hall, Heuvelton, New York; Saturday, December 3, at 4pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- 101st Annual Candlelight Services: Wednesday, December 7, at 7pm and 9pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- Sunday, September 4, or Monday, September 5, anytime between 6 and 8pm in Griffiths 15
In your audition you will be asked to vocalize throughout your range, sing a prepared solo a cappella (any style except contemporary pop), and sing with a quartet—a choral excerpt of about 40 bars will be available for you to learn 30 minutes prior to your audition.
For more information, contact director Barry Torres.