A select chamber choir of undergraduate student singers, the Laurentians continue a 75-year legacy of choral excellence, performing regularly throughout the year on campus, in the North Country, and nationally or internationally on tour during spring break each year. Their far-ranging repertoire is drawn from the entire span of Euro-American classical traditions as well as world and popular idioms.
With life proceeding to a new normal, the Laurentian Singers are excited to return to singing a full rehearsal and concert schedule this fall. In addition to the usual Family Weekend and Christmas concerts, the Laurentians will perform with the world-famous Alexander String Quartet during their annual residency in October and take part in two special SLU events—the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 service and the inauguration of President Kate Morris. This year we also celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Candlelight Services, performing a specially commissioned work for the occasion.
The Singers will re-book their cancelled 2020 tour to San Francisco for spring break in March 2022. Former Laurentian tenor Mitch Galli ’12 is the associate artistic director of the renowned San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus. A joint concert with the SFGMC is planned, as well as a return visit with the Alexander String Quartet at their home base, San Francisco State University. Repertoire will include music of Ola Gjielo, Eric Whitacre, Beethoven, Billy Joel, Joni Mitchell and more.
This year marks the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Laurentian Singers, which will be commemorated by a special reunion at Reunion Weekend June 2-5, 2022.
Rehearsals (starting Tuesday, August 31)
- FULL: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:30-6pm, in Griffiths 15
- SECTIONALS: Wednesdays, 4:30-5:30pm (women) and 5:30-6:30pm (men), in Griffiths 15
- 20th Anniversary 9/11 Service: Saturday, September 11, at 2pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- Family Weekend Concerts: Friday and Saturday, September 24 and 25, at 7:30pm in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall
- Inauguration of President Kathryn A. Morris: Saturday, October 23, at 1:30pm in Newell Field House
- Concert with the Alexander String Quartet: Thursday, October 8, at 8pm in Gulick Theatre
- 22nd Annual Christmas Concert and Carol Sing: Friday, December 3, at 7pm at Pickens Hall, Heuvelton, New York; Saturday, December 4, at 4pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- 100th Annual Candlelight Service: Wednesday, December 8, at 7pm and 9pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- Sunday, August 29, 7-9pm, in Griffiths 15;
- or Monday, August 30, 7-9pm, in Griffiths 15
You may arrive anytime within the hours noted. In your audition you will be asked to vocalize throughout your range, sing a prepared solo a cappella (any style except contemporary pop), and sing with a quartet—a choral excerpt of about 40 bars will be available for you to learn 30 minutes prior to your audition.
Contact director Barry Torres with any questions.