A select chamber choir of undergraduate student singers, the Laurentians continue a 72-year legacy of choral excellence, performing regularly throughout the year on campus, in the North Country, and nationally and internationally on tour every year during spring break. Their far-ranging repertoire is drawn from the entire span of Euro-American classical traditions as well as world and popular idioms.
The Singers return to San Francisco in March 2020. Former Laurentian tenor Mitch Galli ‘12 is the associate artistic director of the renowned San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus. A joint concert with the SFGMC is planned as well as a reprise performance of Paul Siskind’s Metamorphoses (premiered last fall) with the world-famous Alexander String Quartet. Repertoire will include music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, William Byrd, Clara Schumann, Bela Bartok, Eric Whitacre, Michael Jackson, Dolly Parton, Lady Gaga, and more.
The Singers travel to San Francisco for their Spring Break Tour, March 13-22, 2020. Former Laurentian tenor Mitch Galli ‘12 is the associate artistic director of the renowned San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus. A joint concert with the SFGMC is planned. A reprise performance of Paul Siskind’s String Quartet No. 3: Metamorphoses with the world-famous Alexander String Quartet will be given at concerts at San Francisco State University. Other repertoire will include music of Mozart (Regina Coeli), Gibbons ("Almighty and Everlasting God"), Bartók (Four Slavonic Folk Songs), Lehár ("Vilja," from The Merry Widow), Whitacre ("A Boy and a Girl"), Freddie Mercury ("Somebody to Love"), Dolly Parton ("Jolene" and "Light of a Clear Blue Morning") and Craig Hella Johnson ("All of Us,” from Remembering Matthew Shepard).
Rehearsals (starting Thursday, January 16)
- FULL – Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:30-6pm, in Griffiths 15
- SECTIONALS – Wednesdays, 4:30-5:30pm for women, and 5:30-6:30pm for men, in Griffiths 15
- Annual MLK Day Service – Monday, January 20, at 5pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- Pre-Tour Concert – Friday, March 6, at 7pm at the Old Town Hall, Waddington
- Tour 2020 to San Francisco – Friday, March 13, through Sunday, March 22
- Home Concert – Friday, March 27, at 8pm in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall
- Moving-Up Day – Saturday, April 25, at 10am in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- Commencement Concert – Saturday, May 16, at 4:30pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- by appointment
You'll be asked to vocalize throughout your range, sing a prepared solo a cappella (which can be any style except contemporary pop), and sing with a quartet (a choral excerpt of about 40 bars will be available for you to learn 30 minutes prior to your audition).
For more information, contact Barry Torres, director.