A select chamber choir of undergraduate student singers, the Laurentians continue a 72-year legacy of choral excellence, performing regularly throughout the year on campus, in the North Country, and nationally and internationally on tour every year during spring break. Their far-ranging repertoire is drawn from the entire span of Euro-American classical traditions as well as world and popular idioms.
The Singers return to San Francisco in March 2020. Former Laurentian tenor Mitch Galli ‘12 is the associate artistic director of the renowned San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus. A joint concert with the SFGMC is planned as well as a reprise performance of Paul Siskind’s Metamorphoses (premiered last fall) with the world-famous Alexander String Quartet. Repertoire will include music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, William Byrd, Clara Schumann, Bela Bartok, Eric Whitacre, Michael Jackson, Dolly Parton, Lady Gaga, and more.
The 20th Annual Christmas Concert and Carol Sing will feature contemporary takes on medieval music for the season, including Benjamin Britten’s A Ceremony of Carols; Philip Stopford’s Lully, Lulla, Lullay; Gustav Holst’s Lullay my Liking; and Hugo Distler’s Maria Walks Amid the Thorn. The Laurentians also sing for the annual Candlelight Services, this year being the 98th.
Rehearsals (starting September 4)
- FULL – Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:30-6pm, in Griffiths 15
- SECTIONALS – Wednesdays, 4:30-5:30pm for women, and 5:30-6:30pm for men, in Griffiths 15
- Family Weekend Concerts – Friday, September 28, and Saturday, September 29, at 7:30pm in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall
- Christmas Concert and Carol Sing – Friday, December 6, at 7pm at Pickens Hall in Heuvelton, and Saturday, December 7, at 4pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- Candlelight Services – Wednesday, December 11, at 7pm and 9pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- Sunday, September 1, and Monday, September 2, 7-9pm, in Griffiths 15
You'll be asked to vocalize throughout your range, sing a prepared solo a cappella (which can be any style except contemporary pop), and sing with a quartet (a choral excerpt of about 40 bars will be available for you to learn 30 minutes prior to your audition).
For more information, contact Barry Torres, director.