The Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program Student Eligibility
It is best to make an appointment with the McNair Director to discuss your eligibility as some exemptions may apply when qualifying for the McNair Scholars Program.
• Applicants must be first generation college students (neither parent has graduated from a four-year higher education institution) and they must meet the income guidelines set by the US Department of Education.
• Applicants must be members of one of the following groups which are historically under-represented in graduate education: (African American, Native American, Hispanic American).
• Applicants must be United States citizens or have proof of permanent resident status.
Applicants who are selected for the program must:
• Have a commitment to obtain a doctoral (Ph.D.) degree within 10 years of SLU graduation.
• Have a minimum of 16 units before the summer research internship, and complete the research internship before graduation.
• Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher in the major and an overall 2.8 or above.
• Demonstrate a commitment to participate in the McNair Orientation Program and other McNair workshops, seminars and activities until graduation.