The University is committed by Union contract to the following order in awarding summer jobs on campus traditionally filled by students:
- St. Lawrence students with financial need attending Summer School
- Other St. Lawrence students with financial need
- All other St. Lawrence students
- For Facilities Operations and Dining Services positions employees in the SEIU Local200 United bargaining unit on summer layoff
- Children of St. Lawrence faculty and employees who are college students
- Other individuals
Guidelines – Minimum Age for Employment
- The University adheres to all State and Federal regulations regarding the employment of those under the age of 18. These guidelines specify what types of jobs and the hours of work a minor child may perform. Some of the limitations are listed below. A complete listing can be obtained from the Human Resources Department, Vilas Hall G2 (229-5596). Please contact Human Resources for all inquiries relating to employment of a child under the age of 18.
- Minors under the age of 18 must provide working papers. These can be obtained from the nurse at the appropriate high school.
- Minors under the age of 18 may not work in hazardous environments or operate machinery (i.e.: lawn mowers, shredders, etc.). Please contact Human Resources for a complete listing of prohibited occupations.
- Minors under 16 years of age may NOT be employed at any time.
The employee’s responsibility
- St. Lawrence students hired are required to file appropriate paperwork with the Financial Aid Office. They will be placed on the St. Lawrence student payroll.
- Non-St. Lawrence students, graduate students and other new hires are required to file appropriate paperwork with the HR office [Vilas G2], including a completed St. Lawrence University Employment Application. They will be placed on the bi-weekly payroll. A timesheet will be generated for each employee to record daily hours worked.
- As a result of the Immigration Reform and Control Act, the St. Lawrence University Human Resources department collects and retains I-9 forms on current employees. The I-9 form must be completed within three days of date of hire for all employees, unless the term of employment is less than three days: in that instance, the I-9 must be completed on the date of hire.
Hiring Department’s Responsibility
- An employment requisition form must be completed, signed by the Department Head, and forwarded to the HR office either prior to or with payroll forms. (Exception, St. Lawrence undergraduate student paperwork is done at the Financial Aid Office)
- Be sure that the I-9 form is completed: if not done by the department the I-9 must be completed at the HR office, Vilas G2. Contact HR, ext. 5842.
Any questions regarding the above may be directed to Colleen Manley, ext. 5988.