The learning goals for the Biology major are:
- To learn fundamental concepts in three major areas: cell and molecular biology, organismal biology, and ecology and evolution.
- To use modern laboratory and field research techniques to conduct research.
- To integrate content, skills and critical thinking to design feasible independent research projects employing the scientific method.
- To critique and contextualize the published works of others in the scientific community, including the ability to critically analyze experimental design and data interpretation.
- To demonstrate quantitative literacy, including the application of statistical methods to analyze and interpret data.
- To develop scientific writing skills through the writing of papers using scientific conventions of format, succinctness, objectivity and accuracy
- To develop oral communication skills within the context of scientific conventions of format, succinctness, objectivity and accuracy through the oral and poster presentations.