Credit Toward Graduation

Candidates for baccalaureate degrees may earn credits toward graduation from St. Lawrence University in one or more of the following ways: 

  1. By satisfactory completion of courses offered by St. Lawrence. 

  1. By satisfactory completion of courses taken through cross-registration from one of the other members of the Associated Colleges of the St. Lawrence Valley (SUNY Canton; SUNY Potsdam; Clarkson University). Up to two such courses per year (September 1–May 30) may be taken. Since these courses are considered as taken in residence at the institution where they are taken, the general policies on transfer credit apply to them, barring possible exceptions by the academic dean for certain programs of study. The credit value of such courses, however, is calculated in the same way as that described in II.A.2, below, regarding transfer of credit from other institutions. 

  1. By transfer from an accredited institution of higher education of approved liberal arts course credits, with grades of at least 2.0 (C) or equivalent, as submitted on an official academic transcript sent directly to St. Lawrence from the other institution. This includes P (Pass) in P/F (Pass/Fail) systems from other accredited collegiate institutions, accepted only in cases where the transcript clearly certifies that P is the equivalent of 2.00 or higher. (See II.A, below). A maximum of eight units are transferable to St. Lawrence if taken by a matriculated student. 

  1. By Advanced Placement tests in which a score of 4 or higher is achieved, as administered by the College Entrance Examination Board, Princeton, N.J.   (See II.B, to follow.) 

  1. By International Baccalaureate Higher Level Examinations in which a score of 5 or higher is achieved. Credit is not awarded for Standard Level examinations. Course credit is regarded as transfer credit and is determined by the registrar in consultation with the appropriate department chair. Credit for course equivalence and distribution credit is similar to Advanced Placement credit. See below. [Note: College Level Examination Program (CLEP) credit is not accepted.]