Cross-registration is a cooperative program designed to expand the educational opportunities available to the students and employees of the four universities of the Associated Colleges of the St. Lawrence Valley consortium. It provides any full-time matriculated student or full-time employee at a member college the opportunity to enroll in a course offered by another member college which will improve the depth and variety of the student’s academic program.
Tuition is paid to the student’s home institution (the college at which the student is enrolled as a full-time student) under the policies of that institution. If cross-registration credits result in a course load requiring additional tuition charges at the home institution, the student is responsible for those charges just as if the cross-registered credits were home institution credits. There is no charge to cross-register for courses as long as the individual meets the eligibility requirements.
The Registrar of the host institution will send an official transcript to the Registrar of the home institution at the end of the semester if all financial obligations to the host institution have been met. When the transcript is submitted to the Registrar of the home institution, the courses will be recorded as transfer credit and noted in units per St. Lawrence University policy on credits from other sources. (e.g. 3 semester hour courses from member schools will appear with a unit value of .83).
Students interested in cross-registration must correspond with the registrar’s office of their HOME institution, the institution with which they are matriculated. SLU students may, therefore, contact the St. Lawrence University registrar’s office with any questions. All other students should contact their respective registrar’s office.
SLU Student Instructions
- Obtain a cross-registration form from the registrar's office.
- Determine if the cross-registered course will satisfy graduation or other program requirements as appropriate.
- SLU students must obtain the signatures of their advisor, instructor AND department chairperson.
- Return the cross-registration form with all signatures to the SLU registrar's office.
Responsibilities & Limitations
- Eligible students and staff may cross-register for a maximum of two courses per academic year for a total of no more than 8 credits. The academic year begins with the Fall semester and runs through the end of the subsequent spring semester.
- Summerterm courses are not eligible for cross-registration.
- Cross-registration is provided on a space available basis as determined by Host Institution-you are not automatically guaranteed a spot in the cross-registration course. If space is available, the host institution will contact students when registered.
- It is the student’s responsibility to determine if the cross-registered course will satisfy requirements for graduation, license, certification or other or other program requirements as appropriate.
- A student does have to pay any special fees, such as fees for labs, application or registration.
- Students must adhere to St. Lawrence policies and procedures for incompletes, withdrawals, pass/fail or add/drop of a course.
- All students taking a course at a host college must abide by all appropriate attendance regulation, honor systems, parking regulation etc. at the host institution. Students are individually responsible for arranging to keep up with course work despite calendar disjunctions and, in some cases, must arrange for food and lodging when residence halls at the home campus are closed.
Please visit the Associated Colleges homepage at for further information including employee cross-registration regulations.