Departmental Learning Goals
1) Understand atomic and molecular level structure and its impact on physical and chemical properties.
2) Use a variety of models to understand and explain chemical phenomena, being aware of their strengths and weaknesses.
3) Understand different types of chemical reactions and how to use them to synthesize new chemical compounds.
4) Apply thermodynamic and kinetic principles to explain the molecular driving forces in chemical reactions.
5) Develop effective and safe chemical laboratory skills that require use of the methods and instrumentation of modern chemistry.
6) Analyze experimental data and use it to develop scientific arguments.
7) Retrieve, evaluate, and use chemical literature in scientific arguments.
8) Apply chemical concepts and investigative methods to a variety of problems.