SOCIOLOGY MAJOR CHECKLIST
_____ One course at the 100-level. Choose from:
- SOC 101 Principles of Sociology
- SOC 110 Global Problems
- SOC 112 Inequality
- SOC 161 Social Problems and Policy
- SOC 169 Media & Society
- SOC 187 Environment and Society
Combined majors may take additional sociology courses at the 100 level, but a maximum of 2 such courses may be counted towards the major.
_____ 203 Foundations of Social Theory
Prerequisite: any 100-level or 200-level sociology course.
_____ 300 Qualitative Research Methods or 301 Quantitative Research Methods
Prerequisite: SOC 203 Foundations of Social Theory.
_____ Two Socioenvironmental Dynamics Courses. Choose from:
- SOC 233 Consuming Food
- SOC 235 Earning a Living: Work and Occupations in a Global Economy
- SOC 253 Race, Class, and Environmental Justice
- SOC 257 Environmental Problems
- SOC 263 Sociology of Disaster
- SOC 264 Environmental Movements
- SOC 265 Sociology of Climate Change
- SOC 267 Environment and Society
- SOC 268 Sustainable Development
- SOC 269 Population and Natural Resources
- SOC 288 Dilemmas of Development
- SOC 314 Nomads in World History
- SOC 377 Sociology of Consumption
Other courses, including Special Topics courses, may be considered in consultation with the Department Chair.
_____ Advanced Topics Seminar: any 300 or 400 level topical course, including Special Topics courses.
Prerequisites: one sociology course at the 100-level and one sociology course at the 200-level. SOC 203 Foundations of Social Theory and/or Research Methods recommended but not required.
_____ Two additional electives in Sociology: ____________________ and ____________________
_____ OPTIONAL: Majors who wish to pursue additional independent research in sociology:
- SOC 489/490 SYE: Research (1.0 credit, 1 semester, Fall or Spring)
Prerequisites: SOC 203 Foundations of Social Theory, SOC 300 or 301 Research Methods, and the SYE Application submitted to the Sociology Department for approval during the semester prior to the project’s start.