SOCIOLOGY MAJOR CHECKLIST
_____ 1 100-level course (required): Choose from:
- SOC 101 Principles of Sociology
- SOC 110 Global Problems
- SOC 112 Inequality
- SOC 161 Social Problems and Policy
- SOC 169 Media & Society
- SOC 187 Environment and Society
Majors may take additional courses at the 100 level, but a total maximum of 2 such courses may be counted towards the major.
_____ 203 Foundations of Social Theory (required): Prerequisite: any 100-level or 200-level Sociology course.
_____ 300 Qualitative Methods or 301 Quantitative Methods (required): Prerequisite: SOC203 Foundations of Social Theory
_____ Advanced Topics Seminar: any 300 or 400 level topical course, including Special Topics courses. Prerequisites: one sociology course at the 100-level and one sociology course at the 200-level. SOC 203 Foundations of Social Theory and/or Research Methods recommended but not required.
_____ Experiential Component: Choose one from:
- A SLU approved off-campus study program (semester or year). To fulfill this requirement, students must also attend a gathering of Sociology Department faculty and other sociology majors returning from off-campus study to present a sociological reflection on their experiences. Prerequisite: any 100-level or 200-level sociology course.
- Any sociology course with a CBL (Community Based Learning) component, including Special Topics offered in the Sociology Department that include a CBL component.
- SOC 309 Internship. Prerequisites: at least 2 sociology courses. Enrollment is by permission of instructor.
_____ Optional: Majors who wish to pursue additional independent research have these options:
- SOC 489/490 SYE: Research (1.0 credit, 1 semester, Fall or Spring)
- Prerequisites: SOC 203 Foundations of Social Theory, SOC 300 or 301 Research Methods, and the SYE Application submitted to the Sociology Department for approval during the semester prior to the project’s start.
- SOC 498/499 SYE: Honors Project (2.0 credits, 2 semesters, 498 in Fall AND 499 in Spring)
- Prerequisites: 3.5 major GPA, SOC 203 Foundations of Social Theory, SOC 300 or 301 Research Methods, and SYE Application submitted to the Sociology Department for approval during the semester prior to the project’s start.
Requirements noted above + Sociology electives must TOTAL 9-12 units of credit.
1. Majors and minors may transfer into their major/minor no more than two approved courses from other institutions, St. Lawrence departments and programs outside the sociology department, or University-approved study abroad/off-campus programs. Permission from the department chair is required for transfer.
2. Majors and minors may count no more than one SOC 390 Independent Study toward their major/minor.
3. Majors and minors may count no more than two SOC 290 Independent Study courses toward their major/minor.
4. No more than a total of two SOC 290/390 Independent Study courses can be applied to the major/minor.
5. Core courses for the major (theory, research methods, and Capstone seminars/projects) must be taken in the department.