In the Laurentian spirit of service and community, SLU EMS seeks to provide its members the opportunity to develop leadership and interpersonal skills, as well as acquire vocational experience, and gain a lifelong affection for community service. Our mission is accomplished by providing the St. Lawrence community with emergency medical services during the academic year, free of charge, in a manner that is respectful of individual rights and dignity.
- To provide pre-hospital emergency care to all persons in need, regardless of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, or physical/mental handicap; and to provide that care with compassion and understanding.
- To provide pre-hospital emergency care in a timely and professional manner.
- To provide this care according to the policies set forth by the Local and State Emergency Health Service Councils.
- To appropriately respond to the growing needs of our service area.
- To educate the general public and increase their awareness of the services available.
Description of SLU EMS:
St. Lawrence University Emergency Medical Services (SLU EMS) is a student-run and New York State certified EMS agency. We provide Basic Life Support (BLS) First Response services to the St. Lawrence University campus and surrounding area. As an affiliate of the St. Lawrence University Safety and Security Department, SLU EMS is composed of 25 members, all of whom are undergraduate students at St. Lawrence.
In addition to providing coverage to the campus 24-hours a day during the academic year; SLU EMS also provides standby services at campus events. SLU EMS completes its mission by providing public education through a variety of outlets. The organization sponsors students so that they may attend SUNY Canton’s EMT-Basic program free of charge.