A major in economics consists of 9 to 12 units in economics. The minimum requirements for the major are:
ECON 100* Introduction to Economics (1 unit)
ECON 200** Quantitative Methods in Economics (1.5 units)
ECON 251 Intermediate Microeconomic Theory (1 unit)
ECON 252 Intermediate Macroeconomic Theory (1 unit)
Four economics electives at the 300/400 level (4 units)
One economics elective at the 200/300/400 level (1 unit)
*This course may be omitted with advanced placement credit or other advanced standing.
**Stat 113 is a prerequisite for ECON 200
In addition to maintaining a 2.0 university-wide cumulative average, students majoring in economics must maintain a 2.0 cumulative average on all economics courses taken and must earn at least a 2.0 in Economics 251 and Economics 252. Economics 251 and 252 must be taken at St. Lawrence before the end of the junior year. Accounting 203 and 204 as well as Economics 108 and 115 do not count towards the major.
Graduation with honors may be recommended upon the basis of grades, the completion of an honors project approved and supervised by a faculty member, and an oral presentation on the thesis. Students who expect to undertake such a program should consult with the department chair of economics in the last term of their junior year.
How to declare this major:
- QUALIFY. You must have a 2.0 GPA in economics, as well as have a 2.0 or higher in Economics 251 and 252 if either course has been taken.
- APPROVAL. You will need meet with an economics faculty member and have their approval as your Economics Advisor.
- TRANSCRIPT. Download a copy of your unofficial transcript from APR 2.0. You will need to upload it as part of the major declaration form (Step 5).
- CONTRACT. Complete the online contract Economics Major Contract
- MAJOR DECLARATION FORM. This online form must be completed through the Slate system from advising: https://www.stlawu.edu/advising/forms Please upload the unofficial copy of your transcript as you complete the major declaration form.