Non-Matriculated Student Enrollment Procedures

Non-matriculated students are those who are enrolled in credit courses but have not been officially accepted into a degree program.  Credits earned as a non-matriculated student may later be transferred to a degree program.

Enrolling as a Non-Matriculated Student:

  1. Submit the online Non-Matriculation Application.
  2. Request an official transcript be forwarded to St. Lawrence University, Office of Graduate Programs, 23 Romoda Drive, Canton, NY 13617, or email it to  In order to enroll in graduate coursework, we must be able to verify that the minimum of a bachelor's degree has been awarded. If you earned a degree at St. Lawrence  University, submit only an advising transcript of your coursework.
  3. New York State Public Health Law requires up-to-date immunization records for those students enrolling in two or more courses.  You will be required to provide proof of MMR and MMV immunizations.  A meningococcal meningitis waiver must be completed if you have not received the MMV vaccination.  Per New York State COVID-19 guidance, classroom spaces have returned to full occupancy, and vaccinated students and faculty must wear masks until further notice.  COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters are required and proof of vaccination must be uploaded to the Medicat Portal prior to attending class(es).  Health forms are available by emailing

  4. Non-matriculated students must register for coursework, during the open registration period, by completing the online form found here: Graduate Course Registration Form.

  • As a non-matriculated student, you may register for four courses before you are required to matriculate into a program of study.
  • Athletic Graduate Assistants are permitted to take only two classes for free, rather than the usual three courses per semester as a non-matriculant.
  • Research Assistants must be matriculated in order to receive scholarship tuition benefits.
  • Non-matriculated students will not be assigned an advisor.  This option is recommended for self-directed individuals only.