The Center for Career Excellence has many resources available to assist students with their career exploration and preparation. The majority, although not all, may be found within our Handshake career management platform. These include resources to assist with internship/job search, document creation/refinement, interview preparation, graduate/professional school information, as well as our programs and events.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Resources
The Center for Career Excellence at St. Lawrence is committed to providing a welcoming, diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment where students of all identities and backgrounds are empowered to explore their career interests and plan their futures.
We are dedicated to serving all students through personalized conversations and comprehensive career development strategies that demonstrate multicultural awareness. We aim to provide students with opportunities where they may examine the intersection of their identities and develop an understanding of diverse work environments.
For more information, check out this curated list of resources focused on diversity, equity and inclusion, including job search sites, internship sites, research fellowship programs, networking, interview tips and tools, articles worth reading and additional resources.
International Students/Job Search
Interstride supports international students' personal growth, education goals and career endeavors by providing access to data-driven resources, insights and networks. The platform illuminates many pathways to help international students with their employment search, immigration hurdles, community integration, and overall University engagement. It also doubles as a platform to assist U.S.-based students who are looking for international opportunities.
- St. Lawrence University students are eligible for nearly 180 funded internship/fellowship/research opportunities totaling more than $700,000 for stipends and expenses! Read descriptions of these opportunities and find out which ones you are eligible to apply for on our Summer Internship and Fellowship Funding page.
- CareerShift is a great internship/job search tool. Search, select, and store job listings from all job boards and all company job postings; get up-to-date contact information, including e-mail addresses, for hundreds of companies; and access in-depth information about the contacts and companies posting the jobs.
- Vault provides in-depth information on an industry, company, or profession—and how to position yourself to launch and build the career you want. We highly recommend students review the Vault Guides to specific industries of interest (login to the St. Lawrence University Vault site, click on "Guides" on the left-hand navigation menu).
- Micro-Internships (not found within Handshake)
- Laurentian Connection (not found within Handshake)
- The industry leader for college students and recent grads to get hired. Search for job and internship opportunities, access career advice and connect directly with potential employers.
- Builtinnyc: hub for NYC Startups & Tech
- Builtinboston: hub for Boston Startups & Tech
- Builtincolorado: hub for Colorado Startups & Tech
Skill Building Resources
- Virtual work experience programs replicate work at top companies and help you gain the skills to be successful when applying and working there. In only 5-6 hours, learn the relevant tools necessary to complete a typical work day at that company. Virtual work experience programs are 100% free, open-access, and self-paced. No experience or application is required.
- A platform that collects projects called "challenges" from major companies across the country. They target college students to take on the challenges and propose solutions to the problems. They are looking for innovation and creativity from your generation. If chosen, you are paid for your idea.
Students interested in pursuing careers in finance need to be aware that companies have very aggressive recruiting timelines for internships and full-time roles. Follow the timelines below to in order to best position yourself for this competitive industry!