Requirement for the German Studies minor:
The minor consists of six courses:
- Four language courses.
- Two German Studies courses taught in the department in English or from the approved list given below when no German course in English is offered.
Students on the Vienna program may earn up to three units toward the completion of the minor, one for the German language course and two for general German Studies. Those studying abroad in Germany through Colgate’s Freiburg Study Group or an ISEP program may earn up to three units toward the completion of the minor for courses approved by the department.
AP Exam: students who have earned a 4 on the AP exam will receive one unit for GER 101; those who have earned a 5 will receive two units for GER 101 and GER 102.
List of courses from other departments approved tor the German minor:
Art and Art History
- 117: Survey of Art History II
- 203: Art of the Northern Renaissance
- 204: Baroque and Rococo Art
- 207: 19th Century European Art
- 252: History of Modern European Art
- 206: Political Theory 330: European Politics.
- 347: Marxist and Critical Theory
- 205: Nineteenth-Century Europe
- 206: Twentieth-Century Europe
- 211. Women in Modern Europe, 1750 to the Present.
- 267: The Holocaust
- 372: European Identities, 1700-2000
- 375: Colloquium in European History
- 333: Mozart and the Classical Tradition
- 335: The World of Clara and Robert Schumann
- 100: Introduction to Philosophy
- 203: Ethical Theory 208: Modern Philosophy
- 3043: Science and Cinema