DECLARING AN EDUCATION MINOR
- Required for teaching certification. Students who complete this minor and the appropriate major may be recommended upon graduation for initial teaching certification in New York State.
- For students who are interested in studying education broadly or who intend to enter the Professional Semester (student teaching) as a SLU graduate student.
Only available to full-time undergraduates at SUNY Potsdam through cross-registration for coursework at St. Lawrence University. Joint SLU-SUNY Potsdam Art Education Brochure
Students wishing to declare a minor in Education must submit a completed and approved Minor Declaration Form to the Education Department, Atwood 35.
Professional (Student Teaching) Semester
- Teacher Education Handbook 2015-16.
- Professional Semester Application Form - Students intending to apply for the Professional Semester as seniors or as graduate students must submit this form with documentation outlined on the form by the appropriate due date.
- Student Teaching Master Calendar (Sample Fall)
- Student Teaching Master Calendar (Sample Spring)
- Students interested in pursuing coaching certification in New York State may complete the necessary coursework at St. Lawrence University. These three courses are listed in the University's Undergraduate Catalog under the Department of Sports Studies and Exercise Science.
DATA ON PROGRAM COMPLETERS AND TEACHER DEMAND
- Teacher supply and demand data from the American Association for Employment in Education for the year 2012 indicates that there is low demand for teachers of 7-12 English and Social Studies while there is a high demand for teachers of 7-12 Biology, Chemistry, Math, and Spanish. Demand for school administrators and counselors are balanced.