First Application Deadline: February 28, 2018 (Must have a confirmed internship for 1st deadline)
Final Application Deadline: April 5, 2018 (Internship does not need to be confirmed for final deadline)
Established in 1997, the Internship Fellowship Award is designed to promote leadership and career development opportunities for undergraduate students. Awarded to a St. Lawrence University student who has secured an internship, including structured career development or research opportunities for the upcoming summer break, this award is intended to help offset the cost of living and travel/transportation expenses incurred during the student's internship experience. Funds may also potentially cover income replacement if adequate need is demonstrated. Award is available for the classes of 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. Please note: students withdrawing from SLU are not eligible for this fellowship award.
Initially created by a generous gift from Vivien Gardner Hannon '43, this fund has been enriched by support from these additional donors:
- Sol Feinstone Alumni Award
- Michael W. and Pamela Van Hoven Clark Career Planning Fund
- Alumni Executive Council Endowment for Internships and Experiential Learning
- Daniel L. Brindisi '89 and Cynthia K. Brindisi P'19 Internship Fellowship
- Douglas M. Brown '63 Alumni Council Capital District Internship Fund
- Stanley Macdonald '65 Journalism Fund
- Richard Carlson Career Services Internship Fund
- The Walker Family US/Canadian Internship
- Arpey Family Internship Fund
- Janet K. Langlois '71 Internship Fellowship Endowment
- Moran Family Fund
- Stewart's Shops and Dake Family Internship Fellowship Fund
- and additional anonymous donors
A selection committee of professional staff will make the final decision on all awards.
GUIDELINES FOR ELIGIBILITY:
- In order to qualify for an internship fellowship award you must meet one of the following criteria:
- Be a matriculated undergraduate student in good academic/judicial standing with St. Lawrence University
- Be a graduate in the internship cycle nearest your last semester of full time enrollment at St. Lawrence University
- There are no financial eligibility requirements to receive internship fellowship awards.
- Unpaid internship will be given first priority in consideration for funding (with the exception of minor compensation valued at less than $50/week, such as lunches or bus passes) and underpaid internships will be considered secondary in the selection process.
- The internship must be a minimum time commitment of 30 hours/wk and preference will be given to internships that last a minimum of 8 weeks. (If your internship will be fewer than 8 weeks long you may still apply, but internships of greater length will have a better chance of receiving funding.)
- The standard financial award is $3000 and the maximum award for the summer break is $4500 depending on geographic location and financial need. Graduating seniors receive 80% of their award at the start of the summer, and all other class years receive 90% of their award. The final portion is distributed upon completion of the internship. International students should also be aware that they will have to pay a 14% tax on their award. More information.
- Funding priority will be given to first-time applicants and there is a two-time funding limit so plan accordingly.
- Priority will be given to the highest quality proposals with an emphasis on proposals that mesh with the applicant's long term career objectives.
- The Internship Fellowship fund may be used to cover program fees with internship organizations or other academic institutions, but will be carefully considered by the selection committee. The award wil not cover tuition expenses.
- If the committee discovers that any part of your proposal is fraudulent, it reserves the right to revoke all or some of your internship fellowship.
- Students are not eligible to apply for internship fellowships at the same internship site more than once and they are not eligible if they have held the same internship position previously.
- If you do not have a confirmed internship by the final application deadline, then you can submit up to two (2) applications with proposed internships. If you do not secure one of the proposed internships, then you can not substitute an alternate opportunity and will be ineligible to apply for funding after the deadline.
APPLICATION DETAILS AND REQUIREMENTS:
Complete the Online Application Form:
** If your internship meets the minimum time requirement (30 hours/week; 8 weeks) and is unpaid, complete this ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
** If your internship does not meet the minimum time requirement and/or is "underpaid", complete the ALTERNATE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
- As part of both application forms above, you are required to upload the following documents:
- Essay #1. Please provide an essay of no more than 600 words in which you discuss: your career and personal goals, how the internship relates to your future plans, what you hope to gain from this learning experience, and how this fellowship would be of value to you.
- Essay #2. Please provide an essay of no more than 600 words in which you discuss why this financial funding would be essential to completion of your internship, and explain any actions you will be taking to support yourself financially during your internship. Use this opportunity to explain any extenuating circumstances that are relevant to your financial need. Unpaid internships can be costly ventures, but often are worth the sacrifice and will be of great value to you. Be sure to consider the expenses of an unpaid internship can accrue and consider your financial situation by reviewing some budget information here.
- Resume. Please provide a current, Career Services approved resume.
- Feel free to include any additional supporting documents.
- The following should be sent by e-mail directly from your supervisor to Sarah Coburn at email@example.com:
- Written Confirmation of your internship from the internship supervisor or host site. Confirmation MUST include the following information: internship start and end dates, the number of hours you will work per week, and compensation. For the First Application Deadline, you must submit a copy of the confirmation from your employer. For the Final Deadline, you are still eligible to apply for funding without the confirmation. (You may submit the proposal without confirmation for the Final Application Deadline, but no funds will be disbursed until confirmation is received.)
- If your internship is with a for-profit company, the employer MUST also complete the required U.S. Department of Labor compliance form.
Please note that it is your responsibility to notify Career Services if this proposal changes in any way. Failure to do so will invalidate your proposal and could result in full repayment of any awards made. It is okay to submit an application for an internship you have not yet received, but funds will not be awarded until confirmation is provided to Career Services. If you are unable to secure the internship, your "award' will not be transferred to a different experience. You are allowed to submit up to TWO applications for two internships you are pursuing.
Any additional documents you wish to submit must also be sent via e-mail to Career Services at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline. For more information about this award, please contact Career Services at x5906.