The guidelines for the Saints Start Challenge Grants are as follows:
1. To be eligible, students must be rising juniors.
2. Up to $5400 may be requested to cover housing, supplies/materials, and income replacement. Travel expenses or tuition will not be paid from this fund. A detailed budget must be included with the application.
3. A faculty or staff sponsor must recommend your proposal via webform.
4. Proposed project should be completed during the summer. A report and final reflection on your activities will be due by August 31. Presentations on the completed projects will be delivered during the following fall or spring.
5. Applications should include: (1) a completed project/internship proposal, including a 250-500 word reflection on how the project relates to and will help facilitate your long-term career goals, proposed budget, and timeline—submitted by webform; (2) an unofficial transcript; and (3) a recommendation from a faculty or staff sponsor, submitted via a separate webform. Applications are due no later than 5pm Friday, February 8, 2019.
6. Proposals will be reviewed by a committee that will consider each according to the following criteria: how well thought-out, feasible, and polished the proposal is; how well-prepared the student seems in terms of ability to complete the proposal (based on courses taken, grades, and other skills mentioned in the proposal); the clarity of relationship between the project as proposed and the long-term academic and post-graduation goals the student has outlined in the reflection; etc.
7. Recepients of awards who will travel internationally as a part of their project will be required to participate in CIIS's training and safety programs in the spring before departure.
8. Here are some examples of Saints Start Challenge Projects that have been done in the past.