Guest Researcher, ISSER Pune, 2016
Guest Researcher, Chalmers University of Technology, 2009
Keck Teaching and Research Fellow, Bryn Mawr College, 2004
Ph.D. Cornell University , Physical Chemistry, 2001
B.S. Western Washington University, Chemistry, 1996
B.A. Fairhaven College, Women Studies, 1996
General chemistry, spectroscopy and bonding as applications of quantum chemistry, thermodynamics, and kinetics. Also, teaching with Dr. Bass and Dr. Johnson in the FYP! Teaching science and society courses as part of the campus Inside Out prison exchange program.
Thermodynamics and kinetics of anti-cancer drug interactions with DNA.
For the thermodynamic studies of drug-DNA binding, we use a suite of titrations including: fluorescence and UV-Vis absorption spectroscopy, isothermal calorimetry, and viscosity. We use fluorescence based stopped-flow to study binding kinetics.
Physical Chemistry, Ph.D.
Examples of my work as a visiting scholar or guest at another institution:
Presentations, Exhibitions, Performances and Published Work:
- Samantha Glazier, Crossing Boundaries: Teaching Chemistry for Prisoners and Non-majors in ACS symposium series Citizens First! edited by Cynthia Maguire and Richard Sheardy, accepted 2018.
- Metzger, Emily and Glazier, Samantha, Environmental Justice: Chemistry in Context for Prison Inmates and Non-majors in the ACS Book Chemistry and the Liberal Arts edited by Kathy Kloepper and Garland Crawford, Vol. 1266, 167-183, 2017.
- Rachael M. Kenney, Katherine E. Buxton, Samantha Glazier, Investigating the impacts of DNA binding mode and sequence on thermodynamic quantities and water exchange values for two small molecule drugs, Biophysical Chemistry, in press 2016.
- Eisen, L., Glazier, S. and Marano, N. Energy, Entropy and Solubility. Journal of Chemical Education, 91 (4), 484 – 491, 2014.
- Glazier, S. Eisen, L. and Marano, N. A Closer Look at Trends in Boiling Points of Hydrides: Using an Inquiry Based Approach to Teach Intermolecular Forces of Attraction. Journal of Chemical Education, 87, 1336–1341, 2010.
- Dalton, S., Glazier, S., Leung, B.*, Win, S.*, Megatulski, C.*, Burgmayer, S.J.N. DNA Binding by Ru(II)-bis(bipyridine)-pteridinyl complexes. Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry 13, 1133-1148, 2008.
- Glazier, S., Barron, J., Houston, P.L. & Abruña, H.D. Photophysics of PAMAM-Based Dendrimers of Polypryridyl Complexes of Ruthenium. Journal of Physical Chemistry B 106, 9993-10003, 2002.
Regularly Taught Courses:
- CHEM 103: General Chemistry
- CHEM 341: Quantum Chemistry and Spectroscopy
- CHEM 342: Biophysical Chemistry
- CHEM 353: Physical Chemistry Lab
- CHEM 3002: Environmental Justice
- My area of research is biophysical chemistry. DNA is the biological molecule. Fluorescence spectroscopy and calorimetry are the physical chemistry tools I use to study DNA-drug binding mechanisms.
Sample Student Projects Supervised:
- Rachael Kenney & Glazier, S.: Elucidating the Role of Water in a DNA-Antitumor Drug Interaction, Poster presentations at the 236th ACS National Meeting, Dallas, TX March 9th – 12th 2013 & Festival of Science, May 2nd 2014.
- Zak Johnson & Glazier, S. Small Molecules, Big Ideas: Integrative Chemistry and Prison Exchange. Poster presentation at the 235th ACS National Meeting, New Orleans, LA April 7th – 12th 2013 & Festival of Science, April 26th 2013.
- Dwyer, Breezy & Glazier, S. Assay to Establish the Binding Affinity of Nogalamycin to Different DNA Motifs. Festival of Science, Canton, NY April 2012.
- Virnelli III, James & Glazier, S. Looking Toward the Sky: Embracing the Sun as a Source for Positive Global Chang. Parents’ Weekend 2010 & Festival of Science, Canton, NY April 2011.