Alessandro Giardino earned his PhD in 2013 from McGill University, where he also taught several language courses, as well as introductory courses in Italian and European literature and culture. Before that, he studied art history, semiotics, and literature at the Università di Bologna, University of California at Berkeley, and Université de Montréal. His articles have appeared in several peer-reviewed journals and his book on Giorgio Bassani was awarded the Roberto Nissim-Haggiag Prize. His areas of expertise include Mediterranean Studies, Italian literature and art, twentieth-century French philosophy, psychoanalysis, and visual studies. While his current research focuses on twentieth-century revivals of Baroque aesthetics, Giardino also studies the transition from the late Renaissance to the Baroque period in order to gain a better understanding of the latter's contemporary instantiations. At St. Lawrence, Giardino has taught French and Italian language classes at all levels, as well as courses in Mediterranean Studies.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS AND TALKS
- Alessandro Giardino. Baroque & Neo-baroque Naples, Land of Queer (in progress).
- Alessandro Giardino. Giorgio Bassani. Percorsi dello sguardo nelle arti visive. Ravenna: Giorgio Pozzi Editore; Collana Bassaniana. 2013 (185 pages)
Winner of Roberto Nissim-Haggiag Prize, Meis Foundation & Bassani Foundation
- “Françoise Sagan, 1954-56: Des premiers romans aux carnets de voyages en Italie. Le retour à la mer/mère” (under review).
- “Caravaggio’s The Seven Works of Mercy. Natural Magic and Astrology in Baroque Naples, from Giambattista della Porta to Tommaso Campanella” Aries 2016 (forthcoming 2016). Peer reviewed.
- “Giorgio Bassani, Hermann Melville and Nathaniel Hawthorne: l’ellissi eccentrica della relazione con sé e l’altro” Ed. Valerio Cappozzo. Giorgio Bassani. Lezioni Americane. Ravenna: Giorgio Pozzi Editore (Nov. 2015).
- “Desire and its political significance: For a psychoanalytic reading of Giorgio Bassani’s gaze between Lida Mantovani e Gli ultimi anni di Clelia Trotti” Ed. Elena Borelli. The Fire Within: Desire in Italian Literature. New Castle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2014: 229-46.
- “Giorgio Bassani, il “subalterno” come esperienza dell’altro: per una nuova lettura di Gli occhiali d’oro, Il giardino dei Finzi-Contini e Dietro la porta” The Italianist (October 2013): 425-40. Peer reviewed.
- “La passeggiata prima di cena: percorsi dello sguardo e la lezione di Georges Seurat” Quaderni di Italianistica Vol. 33 N. 2 (2012): 91-114. Peer reviewed.
- “Liliana Cavani's La pelle: Debunking the Fake Promises of Postmodern Sexual Emancipation and the Silencing Effect of Cultural Oblivion" Carte italiane Vol. 7 (2011): 101-21. Peer reviewed.
- “Esempi di riuso di manufatti industriali ed ipotesi gestionali” Comune di Napoli-Assessorato all’urbanistica, Unità di progetto interdipartimentale. Programma innovativo in ambito urbano (2008):1-20.
- Conference presenter, “Elena Ferrante, Interferenze del linguaggio materno” CSIS Conference 2015, June 19-21, 2015.
- Conference presenter, “The Kitsch as Grotesque, and the Neapolitan Tradition in Matteo Garrone and Paolo Sorrentino” NEMLA Conference 2015, Apr. 30-May 3, 2015.
- Conference presenter, “Giuseppe Montesano's Neo-Baroque Naples: Rhetorical Strategies and the Literary Tradition” AAIS Conference 2015, March 26-29, 2015.
- Conference presenter, “Giorgio Bassani: sguardi incrociati tra testo e paratesto. Per una nuova lettura dell'immaginario visivo bassaniano” ICOJIL Conference 2015, March 19-20, 2015.
- Conference presenter, “Giorgio Bassani, lettore di James Joyce e Herman Melville. Il maestro dimenticato di Gianni Celati” AAIS Conference 2014, May 23-25, 2014
- Conference presenter, “The ‘Crypt’ and the ‘Phantom’ in Adriana Varejão. A Psychoanalytic Interpretation of Neo-Baroque Aesthetics” Columbia University- ICLS, “The Crypt(ic) Conference,” March 29, 2014.
- Chair of the panel. “Between Literature and the Visual Arts: A Psychoanalytic Perspective” NEMLA Conference 2013, March, 21- 24, 2013.
- Conference Presenter, “Libidinal Politics in Giorgio Bassani’s Il romanzo di Ferrara” NEMLA Conference 2013, March, 21- 24, 2013.
- Organizer and Respondent. Professor Emeritus Renato Barilli, “The Debate between Modernity and Postmodernity in literature” McGill 2013, February, 8, 2013.
- Conference Presenter, “Anna Banti: A ‘Translative’ Marginality between Giorgio Bassani and Susan Sontag” CUNY Conference 2012, “In Trans”, November 8-10, 2012.
- Conference Presenter, “The Italian as a hypocrite: Struggles for Identity in Giorgio Bassani’s Il Romanzo di Ferrara” ASMI Conference 2011, December 15-16, 2011.
- Conference Presenter, “Liliana Cavani e l’onda lunga degli anni ottanta” APIQ Conference, October 17, 2001
- Conference Presenter, “Italianness and the 1980s” NEMLA Conference 2011, April 7-10, 2011.
- Conference Presenter, “Liliana Cavani and the Silencing Oblivion” UCLA Conference “Forbidden Ideas,” October 23-30, 2010.
- Conference Presenter, "Fashion and Design in Liliana Cavani`s Movies: The Long Wave of the 1980`s in the Definition of Gender and Lifestyle" CSIS Conference, May 28-30, 2010.
Spring 2016: Dr. Giardino is teaching:
FR 102 02: Elem. French
FR 102L 02: Lab
FR 3011: Mediterran Cities
ITAL 104: Interm. Italian
ITAL 104 L: Lab