14th Annual North Country Symposium
"The Many Faces of Entrepreneurship: Creating a Supportive Environment"
Eben Holden Conference Center, St. Lawrence University
April 25th, 2016 | 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (registration begins at 8:30 a.m.)
Supported by the Ellen C. Burt '42 Endowment for North Country Education
At the 2016 Symposium, participants worked together to:
- Consider a framework for an entrepreneurial ecosystem that supports the many faces of entrepreneurship.
- Understand the region’s development opportunities.
- Identify key stakeholders, entrepreneurial talent, and resources.
- Make connections between communities, entrepreneurs, and what is already working within the region.
- Establish concrete actions that should be taken to create the supportive environment.
The event featured:
- Dr. Deborah Markley, Co-Founder and Managing Director of the Center for Rural Entrepreneurship
- A panel of Regional Entrepreneurs providing insights from the field.
- Spotlight presentations by regional stakeholders on existing initiatives. The schedule for this event, including presenters, can be reviewed here.
Background Information for 2016 North Country Symposium:
- Dr. Markley and her colleagues at the Center for Rural Entrepreneurship performed extensive background research in preparation for the 2016 North Country Symposium. Visit this site to review reports, data, stories, and tools.
- Letter to 2016 North Country Symposium Participants - Dr. Deborah Markley
- Check out this story by David Sommerstein, reporter for North Country Public Radio, about the 14th annual North Country Symposium: Building an ecosystem of entrepreneurs in the North Country.
- In lead-up to the 2016 Symposium, North Country Public Radio also issued this story, featuring an interview of Dr. Deborah Markley, Co-Founder and Managing Director of the Center for Rural Entrepreneurship: A (not so) secret formula to growing entrepreneurs in the North Country's small towns.