This article outlines the details and criteria for receiving the University discount on standard non-profit mailing.
The University has USPS permits that allow for discounts on postage. There are specific criteria that need to be met in order to use these permits. Office Services can help you determine if your mailing may be sent Standard Non-profit mail. This is the least expensive class of mail available to the University and can be sent for as low as $0.16 per piece.
- Minimum 200 pieces per mailing.
- May not contain any personal information other than the name and address of the recipient. For example, no account numbers, recent amounts of monetary contributions or personal notes. A generic letter that begins with "Dear Joe" and contains no other personal information qualifies.
- The mailing list must be verified for move updates within the last 90 days. Office Services can do this before you print the envelopes. Alternatively you may use the ancillary endorsement "Address Service Requested."
- Must be printed in zip code order.
- Delivery may take up to 10 days.
- No return or forwarding service. Mailings sent to an address that does not exist or where the recipient no longer lives are disposed of by the post office. You may request return or forwarding services by using an ancillary endorsement on the front of your envelope, such as "Return Service Requested." An ancillary endorsement has no cost unless it is used. The charge for a returned letter is approximately $0.50.
- The outside of the envelope will say "Non-profit org" next to the postage.