What is gender-neutral housing?
Gender neutral housing is an option in which two students may share a multiple-occupancy residence hall room, in mutual agreement, regardless of either students’ sex or gender.
Where is it available?
Gender neutral housing is only available in rooms assigned as upper-class student housing; it is not available to students in the First-Year Program
Rooms in the following housing selection processes are available as gender neutral housing:
- All townhouse doubles
- All suite doubles
- All theme house doubles
- All double rooms in room draw labeled as “either” gender
- Not available in Greek housing
- Not available in singles, triples or quads
- Upper-class students have the opportunity to request a roommate of any sex or gender
- Any upper-class student may apply to gender neutral housing through the traditional housing selection processes occurring in the spring semester. A consent form must be signed and placed on file with the Office of Residence Life prior to being placed in a gender neutral housing assignment.
- No student will be randomly assigned to gender neutral housing. In the event of a bed vacancy, students applying for a room change or being initially placed into housing will not be assigned to a room with a student of the opposite sex or gender.