The St. Lawrence University Wind Ensemble continues to grow in both student population and musicianship. This ensemble welcomes all students that have had experience in a large ensemble. During the 2015-2016 school year we averaged fifteen members from the student population and fifteen members from the community or other universities. Music repertoire is always changing. Director Kyle Tupper tries to keep everyone open-minded with a selection of eclectic genres. A lot of that decision depends on the numbers we have. In the past, the ensemble has played movie theme music, the music of John Williams, standard wind band literature (Holst, Grainger, Strauss, ect…) and even some modern music.
Members are required to take an audition regardless of how many semesters they have been in the ensemble. This helps us get a better idea of our potential and assists the director with appropriate music selections. Below are the requirements for the audition process.
- Fall 2017: Thursday, November 16, 8 pm in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall.
- Spring 2018: Thursday, April 26, 8 pm in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall.
- Fall 2017: Rehearsals for the fall semester will begin on Tuesday, September 4 in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall. Wind Ensemble meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7pm to 8:30pm.
- Spring 2018: Rehearsals begin Tuesday, January 23 in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall. Wind Ensemble meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7pm to 8:30pm.
- Fall 2017: Thursday, August 31 from 4:30-6 pm in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall. All students must audition, regardless of prior participation in this ensemble.
- Spring 2018: Thursday, January 18 from 4:30-6 pm in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall. All students must audition, regardless of prior participation in this ensemble.
- Be prepared to play a piece of your choosing (about 1 minute in length) that demonstrates your abilities on the instrument. Please play something you are comfortable with and enjoy playing.
- Scale knowledge: please prepare your major scales.
- Sight reading: there will be a short sight reading excerpt for all those auditioning.
A WORD FROM MR. TUPPER
It is my intent and hope to give all of those that play in the ensemble my very best effort. All I ask in return is that you give your best musically and push yourself to be the best musician you can be. If we both work towards this goal then the semester will no doubt be a wonderful, musical success.
For questions or further information, please contact Kyle Tupper, director.