A select chamber choir of undergraduate student singers, the Laurentians continue a 70-year-plus legacy of choral excellence, performing regularly throughout the year on campus, in the North Country, and nationally and internationally on tour every year during spring break. Their far-ranging repertoire is drawn from the entire span of Euro-American classical traditions as well as world and popular idioms.
Cuba is the exciting destination for the March 2017 tour. While the island nation’s rich and varied musical culture (think rumba, son, mambo, salsa, zarzuela, etc.) will be an important element in this year’s repertoire, other Hispanic music will be sung, including musical settings of Spanish texts by non-Hispanics (Tarik O’Regan, Z. Randall Stroope, Arvo Pärt) and Renaissance music from the New and Old Worlds.
Another exciting project for this fall is singing Mozart’s Requiem together with the University Chorus and the String Orchestra, augmented by players from the Wind Ensemble.
The 17th Annual Christmas Concert and Carol Sing will feature music from the Americas – Canada, Mexico, Brazil, as well as the U.S.
Rehearsals (starting Tuesday, August 30):
- Full – Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:30-6:00 pm
- Sectionals - Wednesdays, women 4:30-5:30 pm and men 5:30-6:30 pm
Rehearsals are in Griffiths 15. During October and early November Tuesday rehearsals will be at 6:45 pm with University Chorus to prepare the Mozart Requiem.
- Family Weekend Concerts - Friday and Saturday, September 23 and 24, at 7:30 pm in Peterson-Kermani Performance Hall
- Mozart Requiem - Friday, November 11, at 8 pm at George Hall Auditorium, Ogdensburg, and Saturday, November 12, at 8 pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- 17th Annual Christmas Concert and Carol Sing - Friday, December 2, at 7:00 pm at Pickens Hall, Heuvelton, and Saturday, December 3, at 4:00 pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- 95th Annual Candlelight Services - Wednesday, December 7, at 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
Auditions: Sunday, August 28, and Monday, August 29, 6:30-9:30 pm in Griffiths 15.
Audition requirements: Vocalize throughout your range, sing a prepared solo a cappella (can be any style except contemporary pop), and sing with a vocal quartet (a choral excerpt of about 40 bars will be available for you to learn 30 minutes prior to your audition).
For more information, contact Barry Torres, director.