A select chamber choir of undergraduate student singers, the Laurentians continue a 70-year-plus legacy of choral excellence, performing regularly throughout the year on campus, in the North Country, and nationally and internationally on tour every year during spring break. Their far-ranging repertoire is drawn from the entire span of Euro-American classical traditions as well as world and popular idioms.
The Singers will return to the “Isle of Enchantment” in March. Puerto Rico is the destination once again for Spring Break Tour. After stops in historic San Juan, Arecibo, Aguadilla and Mayaguez the Laurentians will wind up in Ponce, participating in the Discover Puerto Rico Choral Festival, March 24-26. Featured repertoire will include Spanish texted works by non-Hispanic composers - Tarik O’Regan’s Tal vez tenemos tiempo (by Pablo Neruda) and Z. Randall Stroope’s Amor de mi alma – as well as the flamboyant El Fuego by the Renaissance Spanish composer Matteo Flecha and popular songs of Puerto Rico. Selections from Mozart’s last great work, Requiem, will also be sung.
Rehearsals (starting Thursday, January 19):
- Full – Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:30-6:00 pm
- Sectionals - Wednesdays, women 4:30-5:30 pm and men 5:30-6:30 pm
- Rehearsals are in Griffiths 15.
- MLK Celebration, Wednesday, January 18 at 5:00 pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel.
- Pre-tour concert, Saturday, March 4 ,time and location TBA.
- Spring Break Tour – Puerto Rico, Saturday, March 18 – Sunday, March 26.
- Home Concert, Friday, March 31 at 8:00 pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
- Commencement Concert, Saturday, May 21 at 5:00 pm in Gunnison Memorial Chapel
Auditions: Membership is yearly so there are no auditions in the spring semester. However inquiries are always welcome. Contact director Barry Torres.
- Audition requirements: Vocalize throughout your range, sing a prepared solo a cappella (can be any style except contemporary pop), and sing with a vocal quartet (a choral excerpt of about 40 bars will be available for you to learn 30 minutes prior to your audition).
For more information, contact Barry Torres, director.