2017 St. Lawrence University Spanish Teacher Fellowship
The St. Lawrence University Spanish Teacher Fellowship was established in 2006 through the generosity of Dr. Rita Goldberg, Professor Emerita of Spanish at St. Lawrence. Designed to support Spanish teachers who would benefit from spending time in a Spanish-speaking country and to foster collaboration between St. Lawrence University, alumni of St. Lawrence, area teachers and the schools where they teach, the fellowship identifies outstanding North Country and alumni teachers of Spanish, assists their professional development, and creates links between the Spanish program at St. Lawrence and the teachers’ schools.
Upon their return from fellowship-funded travel, recipients will submit a written report to the selection committee and contribute in previously agreed upon ways to enhance the modern language program at St. Lawrence.
The 2017 fellowship grant amount will be approximately $4,500.00. Certain uses of these funds may be tax free, but applicants should consult with their tax advisors about the tax implications of the grant.
This award may not be held concurrently with any other major teacher grant such as those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Candidates for this fellowship should:
- Be alumni of the University who are full-time teachers of Spanish in a public or private school or non-alumni teachers in St. Lawrence, Essex, Franklin, Clinton or Hamilton Counties in New York State. (Up to half-time teaching another language is acceptable as long as the candidate is a full-time language teacher.)
- Have a contract as a Spanish teacher for the following academic year.
- Not have been awarded a St. Lawrence University Spanish Teacher Fellowship in the previous five years.
Terms of the Award
The teacher selected will:
- Spend at least one month, preferably during the summer, in a Spanish-speaking country enrolled in an academic program or doing research and gathering course materials.
- Consult with department of modern languages faculty to develop a plan for collaborating with the Spanish program (presentations to Spanish classes, sharing materials, supervising research, inviting students to visit high school classes, acting as a mentor for students considering teaching careers, campus visit, etc.).
- Submit a report on the experience to the departmental representative within six weeks of returning to the United States.
- Submit an expense report to the Business Office within two weeks of returning home as outlined by the University’s Travel and Entertainment Policy.
Your application should include the following items:
- A completed grant application form
- A copy of your curriculum vitae (maximum three pages)
- A one-page explanation of why you are applying for the grant
- A one-page description of your project
- A detailed budget for the travel and activities to be supported
- A letter from your supervisor, your principal, or the superintendent of your district. This letter should:
- Certify that you are currently on the staff of the school and are expected to teach there in the 2016-2017 academic year
- State how long you have been at the school and indicate the year in which you received, or will be eligible for, tenure.
- Describe how your teaching is likely to benefit from the fellowship
The deadline for this application is April 15, 2017. Send all application materials to:
Prof. Steven White
Spanish Teacher Fellowship
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
St. Lawrence University
Canton, NY 13617
If you need additional information you may contact the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, by phone (315-229-5160), email: firstname.lastname@example.org: or mail: St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY 13617.