Welcome to the homepage for the Institutional Review Board (IRB) for St. Lawrence University!
You will find links to all of the information you need to submit a proposal or request continuation of an existing proposal. If you have questions or concerns, please contact the IRB chair, Dr. Cathy Crosby, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (315) 229-5167.
Please Note: As of the fall of 2016, all individuals submitting an IRB proposal or a request for continuation of prior approval are required to complete the CITI Program training. Please click on the links below for more information.
Information about the IRB:
The role of the IRB is to insure that the autonomy and privacy of participants in research conducted by members of the St. Lawrence community are protected. Both the Code of Federal Regulations (Title 45, Part 46) and New York State Public Health Law (Article 24-A) require all proposed research involving human participants be approved by the institution’s IRB before it can proceed.
The principles which guide the IRB in its review and decision process are taken from the Policy Statement of the St. Lawrence University Institutional Review Board:
The IRB shall determine whether:
1) the risks to the participant are so outweighed by the sum of the benefit to the participant or the importance of the knowledge to be gained as to warrant a decision to allow the participant to accept these risks;
2) the rights and welfare of any such participants are adequately protected; and
3) legally effective informed consent is obtained from the participants by adequate and appropriate means.
Submitting an IRB Proposal:
CITI Program Training:
- CITI Program Training Information
- CITI Program Training Instructions for Faculty/Staff Researchers
- CITI Program Training Instructions for Student Researchers
Not sure whether your project requires IRB approval? Click here
August 31, 2017
September 14, 2017
September 28, 2017
October 12, 2017
November 2, 2017
November 23, 2017
December 7, 2017
September 7, 2017
September 21, 2017
October 5, 2017
October 26, 2017
November 9, 2017
November 30, 2017
December 14, 2017
If you would like to attend the IRB meeting at which your proposal will be considered, please contact the IRB chair, Cathy Crosby.