The mission of the Humane Society Club is to raise money and awareness for the Potsdam Humane Society. We hope to have SLU students volunteer to give the animals some much needed human interaction. The staff are overworked and we could help with the day to day operations. We also hope to support and promote animal advocacy, in general in the area, and help multiple animal advocacy organizations when the opportunity arises.
Potsdam Animal Shelter, 17 Madrid Ave, Potsdam, NY 13676
Long Term Goal- To send SLU students to the shelter every day of the week
- All volunteers have to assist an orientation held by the Potsdam Humane Society before starting. An orientation session is an hour long and offered once a month
- A second, 30 minute, orientation session is necessary for volunteers that would like to walk dogs
- The Humane Society is closed on Sundays and students cannot volunteer
Types of Volunteering
- Walking the dogs
- Interacting with the animals
- Helping with laundry
- Filling water bowls
- Daily cleaning of cages and the premises
If students cannot volunteer, but would still like to help the animals, donations of all sorts are taken!
In the past, the SLU Tennis Team donated their old tennis balls for the dogs to play with at the shelter rather than just throwing them out at the end of the season!