Green Cafe TA Application Deadline
Sustainability Program ‘Green Café’ Teaching Assistant (Fall 2020)
Application Deadline: April 1, 2020.
Teaching Assistant Description: The Green Café course bridges farm to table, culture, and sustainable business practices. The TA’s role is to help support student learning (15 to 25 students) and be a part of a teaching team. Fall 2020 will be the course’s second iteration and the course design, logistics, and the course is expected to evolve. One of the most important skills desired is a teaching assistant willing to embrace being part of a teaching team with a positive attitude.
We hope to have two to four TA’s that collectively provide the greatest diversity of skill sets.
Preferred Skill Set:
- Strong listening skills and openness to new ideas & ability to embrace campus community
- Strong collaboration and team building skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Positive attitude, particularly with problem solving and dealing with change and uncertainty
Teaching Assistant Roles & Responsibilities:
- Office Hours: Strategically timed office hours with assignments/deadlines to provide feedback and support (on campus & at the farm)
- Teaching Support: Assist with logistics and coordination, student training, and oversight
- Uphold Class Expectations: Help teach students proper behavior and lead by example
- Team Management: Work closely with the course teaching team to identify issues with students and develop appropriate solutions
- Café Supervision: Oversee café execution and closing on 4-5 occasions (done on a teaching team rotation)
- Café Logistics: Assisting with café scheduling of students, tracking student progress/participation, and on occasion step up and drive the van, pick up items from Dana, or office services etc.
- Time commitment: 5 to 10-hrs weekly
Note: Applications will be reviewed during course registration to ensure course scheduling flexibility.
Submission: By email to the program faculty coordinator – Sara Ashpole (email@example.com).
- Have you taken the Green Café class?:
- Are you an alum of the Sustainability Program?:
- Are you able to attend all or part of team meetings on Tues., between 1:00 and 4:00 pm (note: this is not required for all TA’s but we hope to find a TA that is able on occasion attend some or part of a class):
- Are you able to attend all or part of the café events on Thurs., between 1:00 and 10:00 pm (note: we want to make sure the TA team can cover times when needed to step in):
- Would you like to live on site at the sustainability program farm? (note: this is not required and may or may not be feasible):
- Would you like to do the TA position as a 1.0 credit internship (8-10 hrs weekly), 0.5 credit internship (4 to 5 hrs weekly) or paid an hourly wage?
- What specific skill sets do you bring to the TA position? (refer to relevant courses, farm skills, restaurant experience, management, communication, other work or life experience)
- What are your interests in sustainability, food culture, and/or advocacy?
- Please provide the name of a reference: