The Senior Year Experience (SYE) is a semester-long project chosen by the student to mark a culminating academic experience in the major. Students should propose an SYE project in an area in which they have significant experience as a result of classes, production work, and/or research. The SYE provides an opportunity to bring together the various skills students have been honing as majors.
Students should work with faculty mentors to establish a project with a clear scope and scale and write a proposal using the attached guidelines. Students submit the proposals two weeks prior to the final department meeting. Students with a minimum GPA of 3.5 in the major may submit for an honors project SYE. Projects working with human participants will require IRB approval.
The deadline for Spring 2020 proposals is December 2, 2019
Recent SYE projects include:
- Rhetorical analysis of supplement advertisements in male fitness magazines
- One act play culminating in a staged reading
- Queer textual/rhetorical analysis of contemporary music videos
- Persuasive strategies used by "pregnancy counseling" centers, based on undercover visit
- Creation of persuasive campaigns around cell phone use, single-use plastics, & vaping
- Audition portfolio and performance
- Interviews with women navigating experiences of sexism in corporate careers