Announcing the Joan Donovan Speech Contest
1ST PLACE: $500; 2ND PLACE: $250; 3RD PLACE: $150
Contestants must be eligible to and planning on marching at commencement. Speeches must be no longer than 7 minutes. (Don't ask, "How many pages is that?" Time what you produce and make the necessary adjustments.) Electronic copies of all manuscripts must be e-mailed to Kirk Fuoss (firstname.lastname@example.org), Randall Hill (email@example.com) and Allison Rowland (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, 2 May 2016.
The top three finalists will be notified on Friday, 6 May, 2016. The top three finalists will deliver their speeches some time the following week.
Speeches will be judged on a variety of criteria, including:
- adherence to time limits;
- clarity and/or appropriateness of the structure deployed;
- originality and significance of the ideas expressed;
- artfulness and appropriateness of the forms of supporting material deployed;
- the extent to which the speaker creatively transcends the clichés associated
- with the genre while nevertheless crafting a speech that is appropriate for the occasion; and
- the extent to which delivery enhances the ideas expressed (finalists only).
Good luck to all.