Off-Campus Study Policies & Procedures
Approved off-campus study programs:
The Center for International and Intercultural Studies maintains a list of off-campus programs approved or operated by St. Lawrence ("SLU programs"). For all of these SLU programs, St. Lawrence students pay regular comprehensive fees to participate and receive their usual financial aid package. Tuition, room, and board charges are the same for any St. Lawrence student participating in any St. Lawrence approved or operated program as they would be for the same student on-campus. Courses outside of the regular fall and spring semesters (e.g. summer courses) entail additional tuition costs not covered by students' regular financial aid. Transportation and other travel and living expenses are additional costs not covered by St. Lawrence.
Programs not already approved for off-campus study:
Students wishing to study and receive credit on a program not approved or operated by St. Lawrence University (Non-SLU programs) must discuss their interest with the Director of Off-Campus Programs. Students who apply to a Non-SLU program must follow St. Lawrence application procedures (including submitting their application to St. Lawrence by the February 1st deadline) and the sponsoring institution’s application procedures. The Committee on International and Intercultural Studies or its delegates will review all applications to Non-SLU programs after the February 1st deadline.
Successful applicants for Non-SLU programs must meet several requirements in order for their applications to be approved.
- Students must have a record of academic performance that demonstrates their ability to meet the challenges of off-campus study without the academic and other support that SLU offers on campus and on its programs; a GPA of at least 3.0 is required.
- The application should also show evidence of independence, responsibility, maturity and cultural sensitivity.
- Students wishing to study in countries where St. Lawrence maintains a program, or in countries with a comparable language and culture base, must have extraordinarily compelling reasons why their academic interests are significantly better served by an alternate program.
Students should also be aware of the differences in financial and credit policies for Non-SLU programs:
- Unlike approved programs, any credit earned on Non-SLU programs will be transfer credit (not residence credit) and will not be included in student’s quality point average.
- St. Lawrence’s financial aid will not transfer to non-SLU programs, and students must check with the Financial Aid Office to confirm the status of their federal and state aid and loans.
- Students participating in non-SLU programs are not eligible to apply for additional airfare assistance or additional financial aid.
- Students are responsible for understanding what constitutes a full course load of credit on their program and they must obtain approval for all courses
- The student is responsible for understanding the requirements for entry and residence in their host country, including any visas and immunizations.
Admission to off-campus programs is competitive, based on the quality of application and the availability of spaces. Candidates must present a coherent academic rationale for participation in a particular program and a record of academic performance that demonstrates ability to meet the challenges of off-campus study. Certain programs require a minimum grade point average. Candidates for off-campus programs must also present evidence of maturity, responsibility and cultural sensitivity (See Acceptance Process & Policies).
Only full-time matriculated students may apply to study off-campus. Students who have graduated or students with anticipated graduation dates before off-campus study program start dates are not eligible to apply.
Participation in Study Abroad Programs While on a Leave of Absence
Students who enroll in and attend an off-campus program without the approval of the Committee on International and Intercultural Studies will be assumed to have taken a Leave of Absence from the University. They may be approved to transfer a maximum of one course to St. Lawrence University.
Participation in non-SLU Programs During the Summer
Students wishing to study at a foreign institution or on a Non-SLU study abroad program during the summer should consult with the Registrar to arrange for transfer credit for summer school.